Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX: "Card Not Present Transaction Approved", choice of wording

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX: "Card Not Present Transaction Approved", choice of wording

Frankly, my first time was a shock too. Once I enabled the alert and did NOT know what it meant I was taken back. As has been covered in this post, each lender has a phrase (if you will) and we need to tune in. Truth, once in awhile I still go "say what" ?! Have to focus and breathe deep that all is cool.
Message 11 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Locked for moderator review. A post has been removed for non productive posting and responses to it as well. Thread is re-opened for further comments. Please remember to be kind to one another.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wasnt my intent to make anyone bitter, it was probably a good thing I didn't see the post that was erased.  I imagine it was a classic.  Smiley Happy

(the rest of this post is directed to everyone else)

To address something said earlier, I dont recall having necessarily opting in for the alert(which isnt to say I might not have edited the list of checked/unchecked boxes before this, I just dont recall), but do realize we can generally get out of them.  

I think this was in regards to an Amazon order, and during the initial glance(not really reading) when seeing "card", and "not" regarding an Amazon order, it in the past had meant there was a problem with my order.  That was the quick, unconscious feeling that hit me, so I came here to express it and see how others felt about it.  

For what it's worth, in this day and age I probably use my cards more for online orders than otherwise, and the wording initially confused me because I seem to recall reading that vendors ask for the CVV # to ensure the card is present for online orders...so even at 2nd glance the wording still bothered me.  I hope this makes sense to folks, regardless what they(or even myself in retrospect) felt about my reaction.  

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also noticed there were no kudos in here(my first time in the SmorgasBoard) and was curious why.  Again, no offense intended toward anyone, just trying to learn the ways.  Thanks

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Hey Cap, lol, you seem to be in cc forum now. Just woke up so not sure the reference to SB was me as i mentioned it in one of my post. SB is not the death sentence haha its just where things go a little off topic can be hadSmiley Wink

Ha, I think it may have been yours.  It's funny I had no idea what it(SB) meant, and then suddenly here I am.  I'm actually kind of glad I learned about this place.  I dont think I would have naturally looked on my own/  

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I also noticed there were no kudos in here(my first time in the SmorgasBoard) and was curious why.  Again, no offense intended toward anyone, just trying to learn the ways.  Thanks

Kudos are not available on the "SmorgasBoard". There was a long evaluation on whether they should or should not be available and the decision was to remove "Kudos". Some posters were using the SmorgasBoard to accumulate points for their board status so to speak. That was a topic from the distant past.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Kudos are not available on the "SmorgasBoard". There was a long evaluation on whether they should or should not be available and the decision was to remove "Kudos". Some posters were using the SmorgasBoard to accumulate points for their board status so to speak. That was a topic from the distant past.

You mean to tell me that people were using this board to find a shortcut? Say it ain't so, Joe! 

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.  Now I will be humble and say that I dont understand what racking up kudos on the Smorgasboard(or anywhere)would accomplish/the appeal...unless a count is kept but it is hidden?  I suppose I still have much to learn about this site.  

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

"CARD NOT PRESENT" is a term from the PCI Security Standards Council which was created by VISA, MC, AMEX, Discover and JCB.  PCI SSC issues standards and requirement over credit card security.  The phrase indicates that it was not a "face to face" transaction in a store where you present your card at a Point of Sale machine.  Instead your card was used either over the Internet, Mail Order or Telephone Order.  The notice to alert you that your card was used in such a manner.  In addition, that same notice could be used as a receipt for an expense report similar to what you would get at a deli for a meal or a gas station for fuel.

This is a very good tool for fraud prevention.

Hope that helps.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.