Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T hit with $100M fine for "unlimited" data plans

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

AT&T hit with $100M fine for "unlimited" data plans

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/att-hit-with-100m-fine-for-unlimited-data-plans/

"WASHINGTON - AT&T Mobility LLC has been slapped with a $100 million fine for offering consumers "unlimited" data, but then slowing their Internet speeds after they reached a certain amount.

The Federal Communications Commission said Wednesday that the company misled consumers into buying plans they believed would give them unlimited ability to send and receive data, including Web browsing, GPS navigation and streaming videos. But the FCC said that once the consumer receached a certain level, that data would be slowed down significantly, at speeds lower than advertised."

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AT&T hit with $100M fine for "unlimited" data plans

About time... Crooks..

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

About time... Crooks..

X 1000!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good! I had up until recently a grandfathered unlimited data plan for iPhone and they'd slow it down after 5 gigs. Crooks!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't even believe that it was just AT&T that did this.

Message 5 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

good! Serves them right for taking advantage of people!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Cellular is doing this now. A guy I work with has had unlimited data, and paid a pretty price for it. Recently, he discovered his data is capped at 7 gigs, and anything he uses over that is running at a MUCH slower speed. Honestly, 7 Gigs should be more than plenty, but he and his son use his phone for ...like everything. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it kind of crazy how pretty much noone knew this until now.

I worked at AT&T a few years ago and it was just common knowledge among employees!

We let customers know if they asked as well, it was actually something we used to tell people to get them to switch to the new data plans.

I never agreed with it, but as far as I knew, they never kept it a secret...

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pricetyler wrote:

I think it kind of crazy how pretty much noone knew this until now.

I worked at AT&T a few years ago and it was just common knowledge among employees!

We let customers know if they asked as well, it was actually something we used to tell people to get them to switch to the new data plans.

I never agreed with it, but as far as I knew, they never kept it a secret...

We knew it yes. At least I did. But it's wrong. So I'm glad they'll pay a fine for false advertising.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.