tag
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on new Discover Card design

@MyLoFICO wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

How an I get the Plum color?

You can order any color you want (that they offer) when you sign into your account and request another card.  There are members on here that have 3 or 4 different Discover cards since they just want different colors/designs and Discover doesn't limit how many you can have.

Last time I looked my card was secured and I only had like 10 options. I thought that was odd. lol. Now that I can see all 47 I think I will order a few. 

One of my favorite things about Discover is the ability to have different card designs, when I go to a Rangers game I switch to the Rangers card, then back again, it's so cool.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The pride design is my personal fav.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@capnsloya wrote:
I was recently able to convert the rewards program on my secured discover card to the 5% cash back on quarterly categories. 

I assume you mean that Discover graduated your secured card to the unsecured 5% card?  Or are you still secured and just got a weird product change?

Message 13 of 25
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I ordered Plum and Gold for me and Rose Quartz for my daughter.

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 14 of 25
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@capnsloya wrote:
I was recently able to convert the rewards program on my secured discover card to the 5% cash back on quarterly categories. 

I assume you mean that Discover graduated your secured card to the unsecured 5% card?  Or are you still secured and just got a weird product change?

Mine did that. I was able to convert to the IT with 5% categories and stayed secured for 3 months. Felt like haveing to left shoes. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, I'm new to the 1% standard secured.  Did you just get an offer somewhere to convert it, or did you have to deal with calling them or writing them?

I'd much prefer the 5% -- I cycle a lot through the Discover card ($3000-$5000 a month) and every dollar left on the table is a wasted dollar.  I probably have months where I will cycle $10,000 through it when it's vacation booking season -- won't help if there are no 5% categories but I'm sure I can get more rewards regardless.

Message 16 of 25
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting, I'm new to the 1% standard secured.  Did you just get an offer somewhere to convert it, or did you have to deal with calling them or writing them?

I'd much prefer the 5% -- I cycle a lot through the Discover card ($3000-$5000 a month) and every dollar left on the table is a wasted dollar.  I probably have months where I will cycle $10,000 through it when it's vacation booking season -- won't help if there are no 5% categories but I'm sure I can get more rewards regardless.

Just call them. Discover has some of the nicest Customer Service reps I have ever dealt with. I suppose you can use chat too but they are nice. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, I found this older link from 2016 but no comments beyond the OP.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Secured-Discover-IT-Chrome-convert-for-5/td-p/4548911

Edit also this: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-Secured-Conversion/td-p/4506149

I have to call Discover in May to max out my secured deposit so I will just request a conversion then and see what they say.

Message 18 of 25
capnsloya
Contributor

Nope, my card is still secured as of now. I just got my 6th statement so I wouldn't be able to unsecure until at least next statement. 

I got a different rewards program simply by chatting with a representative online and asking for the change. It might have been a full blown PC though since my account now states I have a regular Discover It instead of a Discover It Chrome.

Current Cards

FICO Score 8's as of February 2023

Inquiries as of February 2023
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic news -- thanks for sharing.  Not sure how I ever missed reading about this option since I thought I read every thread on the Discover secured card.  I'll hold off until next month when my first statement cuts -- already moved over all my fee-free autopays to the card as well as updated my travel agent's site, so now it's just a matter of PIF every 3rd day.  I noticed a warning recently if I pay more than once every 3 days it'll delay the payment, but I figure I can PIF 10 times a month to keep using it as a daily driver.

Do you know if your 5% rewards will get doubled for the first year promotion?  10% rewards sounds fantastic for a secured card.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.