Did you mean: 

All CSP cards are metal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: All CSP cards are metal?

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Requesting a no-chip version at this point would make little sense with the liability shift coming up in October. And that's if Chase would still at this time send you a no chip version which I find hard to believe. Maybe in 2014 they did but probably not now.

What is the liability shift?

It's the reason for the move to EMV cards.  Read this:

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/02/06/october-2015-the-end-of-the-swipe-and-sign-credit-card/

Message 11 of 23
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It would of made little sense since the beginning lol. The only reason I can think of as to why people would request it would be so it looks more minimal, I don't know.

I would have been all over this had I know about it sooner.  But for 3 months it ain't worth it and as has been posted, I doubt they'd do it now at this late hour.  I will be closing mine next year anyway.

As for the reason, Tyrex:  It would be so you can swipe your card and put it away immediately.  Rather than screwing around with a little card slot, waiting for the cashier to finish what they're doing, and then waiting for the cashier to hit the 'Credit' button.  All before you can put your wallet away.  And hope that the 30 cards don't come spilling out of your wallet while you're trying to hold onto it and sign the terminal at the same time.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
It would of made little sense since the beginning lol. The only reason I can think of as to why people would request it would be so it looks more minimal, I don't know.

I would have been all over this had I know about it sooner.  But for 3 months it ain't worth it and as has been posted, I doubt they'd do it now at this late hour.  I will be closing mine next year anyway.

As for the reason, Tyrex:  It would be so you can swipe your card and put it away immediately.  Rather than screwing around with a little card slot, waiting for the cashier to finish what they're doing, and then waiting for the cashier to hit the 'Credit' button.  All before you can put your wallet away.  And hope that the 30 cards don't come spilling out of your wallet while you're trying to hold onto it and sign the terminal at the same time.

Well fair enough! Seems like a huge waste of time to me though, just to save a few seconds at the checkout. Never had a problem with my chip cards in the US, and chip and pin is much more secure. I wish we would hurry up and adopt it over here.

Message 13 of 23
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well fair enough! Seems like a huge waste of time to me though, just to save a few seconds at the checkout.

It's not just to save a few seconds at the checkout.  When your cards go spilling all over the floor it's very embarassing.  If the chipped card companies would give me a 3rd hand along with my new card it would be fine with me.  It takes me 2 hands to hold onto this monster wallet and keep the cards inside... I'm sure you can understand how I'd like to put it safely away rather than waiting/juggling for 30-60 seconds on the cashier to press buttons before I can do so.  Now I have to try to plan ahead and put just the one card in my front pocket that I'm planning on using at that store (plus a backup if I get a fraud alert) but I don't always think of that when I'm in the car.  I'm sure I'll get better about that over time.  Things were much simpler before, for me.  If it doesn't affect someone else, that's great for them.

wallet_0117151543.jpg

Back before EMVs I could have bought myself a cheap card writer and some 4-sided card blanks and gotten rid of most of these.  I was always planning on doing just that.  Alas, all my hopes were destroyed after the blasted chips came out.  I know some of the electronic card companies are supposedly coming out with a chip option but I'm not sure how that could possibly work?  Either way, I'm not paying a $9.95 monthly fee to a service just to clone my cards.  It isn't quite worth that.

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Well fair enough! Seems like a huge waste of time to me though, just to save a few seconds at the checkout.

It's not just to save a few seconds at the checkout.  When your cards go spilling all over the floor it's very embarassing.  If the chipped card companies would give me a 3rd hand along with my new card it would be fine with me.  It takes me 2 hands to hold onto this monster wallet and keep the cards inside... I'm sure you can understand how I'd like to put it safely away rather than waiting/juggling for 30-60 seconds on the cashier to press buttons before I can do so.  Now I have to try to plan ahead and put just the one card in my front pocket that I'm planning on using at that store (plus a backup if I get a fraud alert) but I don't always think of that when I'm in the car.  I'm sure I'll get better about that over time.  Things were much simpler before, for me.  If it doesn't affect someone else, that's great for them.

wallet_0117151543.jpg

Back before EMVs I could have bought myself a cheap card writer and some 4-sided card blanks and gotten rid of most of these.  I was always planning on doing just that.  Alas, all my hopes were destroyed after the blasted chips came out.  I know some of the electronic card companies are supposedly coming out with a chip option but I'm not sure how that could possibly work?  Either way, I'm not paying a $9.95 monthly fee to a service just to clone my cards.  It isn't quite worth that.

Do you use all of those cards on a regular basis? Maybe separate wallets would work well but I'm not sure how you'd categorize the cards that should go into each.

Message 15 of 23
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

wallet_0117151543.jpg

Bustin' loose Smiley Surprised

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

wallet_0117151543.jpg

How and why do you have that many cards is more to the question!?

Message 17 of 23
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
How and why do you have that many cards is more to the question!?

Chasing points, of course.  Like many folks here do... it's not all that unusual.  I go out of my way to get 5% cash back on nearly everything I spend.  And if I have to charge something more than a couple times that doesn't get 5%, then I find a card/method that will get me it, and write that card down for the next app spree.  Smiley Happy  Walmart and my electric bill are the only expenses left to conquer.

It would be much more convenient to only leave home with the cards I need for the planned stops, but living 40 miles away from the nearest town it's not like I can run home to grab other cards if I think of somewhere else I need to stop.  Pretty much I gotta have everything with me.

Of course there are some duplicates...

- Fidelity Amex I had first but acceptance isn't great, so have to carry Citi DC just in case.  Don't want to SD the Fido Amex after they were nice enough to give me the card after I was blacklisted for quite some time.  Just getting 2% rather than 5% on the odd $3 thrift store purchase is OK with me.

- Fort Knox makes the Penfed card pointless.  But I went through a LOT of trouble to get the Penfed card so I didn't want to SD it after I was approved for Fort Knox.

So yeah I could pare down by a few cards if I absolutely had to.  But most of them are absolutely essential to carry.  The ones I only use online, I keep those in a box at home and keep the card numbers in a text file for easy use so I'm not carrying them around.  I do at least try to stay light.

Message 18 of 23
axlm
Regular Contributor

@core wrote:

wallet_0117151543.jpg

Is that photo for real? Smiley Surprised Where do you put it while walking?

If you really are going around with all of them, you might want to get something like this: http://wocketwallet.com/. No EMV support, tho.

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 19 of 23
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

ERe: All CSP cards are metal?

Funny thing is I was at the grocery store sometime last week and swiped my CSP card to pay and the damn reader couldnt read my card. Had to use the Amex ED instead. I thought perhap the fact that it was metal had something to do with it...who knows. The card has worked everywhere else though.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.