Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All-in-One computer

tag
Volpes
Regular Contributor

All-in-One computer

Does anybody own one? I'm thinking about purchasing one.

I want an approximately 20" screen, but a lot of theme come in only 23" sizes which is fine I suppose; a tad too big.

Yes, I know desktop towers are an option. I did recently land a Lenovo desktop for $300 ($100 off coupon + sale), but its kindof noisy at night. I live on some land up on a hill back in the woods, and its QUIET at night (unless my crazzy Siamese cat is loudly meowing throughout the house). I can hear the processing and buzzing noises - think its driving me insane. I don't particularly like the prices of some of theme, but meh

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: All-in-One computer

I've wondered about them myself.  The touchscreens look nice.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 18
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Well, I decided to buy a notebook.

I custom ordered a Satellite L50. They don't sell theme at retailers / Best Buy, so I'm just going to take a chance. I did check out the C series at Best Buy and somewhat liked it, so I imagine the L50 should be just fine; nicer finish, nicer keyboard, better sound, much better processing power. I upgraded the processor, added Bluetooth, and went ahead and added 2x sticks of ram since it was only $10. Toshiba is giving a 16-inch carrying case for FREE with purchase.

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/L50/

Now for the 2 week wait (custom order). 

Message 3 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

Toshiba laptops are good. It was my first laptop and lasted me 7 years

Message 4 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

Toshiba laptops are good. It was my first laptop and lasted me 7 years

My son is a freshman in college.  I was looking to buy him a new laptop to help with schoolwork.  I'm going to go look at Toshibas now.  Thanks for the post!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

I bought it in 2000 and the only reason why I bought another one is because of Win XP 64 bit which I needed and my toshiba couldn't handle the new software since the max memory was at 1GB.

I powered it up last December and it still booted fine still with Win 98 on. I bought a laptop for an EX g/f years ago (around 2004) and it was also a Toshiba, she still uses it.

I think people tend to go with Brand names like HP/Dell but nowadays there are some very good 'economy' laptops like ASUS, Lenovo which are good starter computers. But of course the kids today want macbooks Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I bought it in 2000 and the only reason why I bought another one is because of Win XP 64 bit which I needed and my toshiba couldn't handle the new software since the max memory was at 1GB.

I powered it up last December and it still booted fine still with Win 98 on. I bought a laptop for an EX g/f years ago (around 2004) and it was also a Toshiba, she still uses it.

I think people tend to go with Brand names like HP/Dell but nowadays there are some very good 'economy' laptops like ASUS, Lenovo which are good starter computers. But of course the kids today want macbooks Smiley Wink

Wow that is old lol.

I for one do not like Macs.  Could be I am stuck in my ways but it is a whole new experience.   Then again, I despise Windows 8.

Message 7 of 18
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Toshiba makes probably the best laptops on the market. Only reason I know this I am a computer guy Smiley Wink

I would love to punch the whole design team @ Microsoft for developing Windows 8. Luckily my latop has Windows 7. My poor wife's laptop has windows 8. I told her if it was mine I would lay it on the train tracks behind our house LOL. It is a Toshiba tho 

Message 8 of 18
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

Toshiba makes probably the best laptops on the market. Only reason I know this I am a computer guy Smiley Wink

@I would love to punch the whole design team @ Microsoft for developing Windows 8. Luckily my latop has Windows 7. My poor wife's laptop has windows 8. I told her if it was mine I would lay it on the train tracks behind our house LOL. It is a Toshiba tho 

Toshiba's are OK, i wouldnt say the best. Also regarding the Windows 8, i totally agree that its a pain. There's a program named classic shell for windows 8 to give you the start menu and makes it look like windows 7. If you really hate it i would just downgrade to 7, one windows 7 license is like 150 bucks.

All in one computers are nice except when something goes wrong. We deployed a few at work for our executive team and once something happens its very difficult to repair (hardware) because there is no space.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 9 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The only Windows 7 I have used was on my phone and didn't like that either.

I perfer Vista but you can't buy a PC with that on it anymore.

It isn't so much the start and desktop that are issues.  Internet explorer has Java and other things imbedded and they just do not work. It's a known problem but not fixable.  I had to download Firefox which I like better and no issues.

I'm a computer/network person also but I disagree that Toshiba is best.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.