Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All new stuff!!!

tag
brownee
Frequent Contributor

All new stuff!!!

So we're hoping to get in a new house next spring/summer. Check that..we WILL be buying our first home next year and as exciting as that is, something has me worried (yeah, even more than our fico scores..lol).  How on Earth will we furnish the place? We live with my mom and always have, so we have NOTHING. No towels, no plates, no sofas, etc..nothing to put in the house. I don't want to wait till we get into the house to start trying to furnish it cause that will be a lot of money in a very short period of time. We started buying a few small things (flatware and a few sets of glasses) and want to buy something every paycheck, but what about the big stuff? We need a new bedroom suit, yes NEED and we'll also need sofa and loveseat and dining room stuff. Should we try to get all of that this year and pay it off before years end or January and just store it somewhere? I just don't want to have accounts that show we're buying stuff when its time to get the mortgage process started. What did you guys do? The little stuff we can keep at home, but what about the big stuff?
7/7/09 TU: 630 EQ: 638 EX: ??
4/3/09 TU: 599 EQ: 606 EX: ??
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
demi
Established Contributor

Re: All new stuff!!!

I would buy a little as possible.  If you see some great thing, deal, one of a kind, maybe purchase.  I am in a similar situation, just moved into my brand new home.  Its the first time I have lived by myself, always had a roomate.  I have dishes, tons of kitchen stuff, but hardly any furniture.  One thing I said I was going to do, months ago and didn't, was every time I went to Target, buy a gift card...they add up after a while.  Its a form of saving, but specifically targeting (excuse the pun) the money.  I really tried to hold off, but I did buy a few things, some of which I regret.  There is no huge rush to furnish, you don't need a picture perfect house the day you move in -  and believe me, having spent one week in the new house, there are a lot of little things you would never think of ahead of time.  I still need to furnish a guest bedroom, a loft, and half a living room, but I am trying to do it in cash so I am priortizing the guest room first.  Also, new house, needs back yard, which will probably have to wait until spring.  I would just hate to see you buy something and not like it once its in your house, and you bought it 6 months before and can nolonger return.  Plus, you have to store it !  I did buy a dinning room table on layaway a few months before I closed, that way I didn't have to store it.

Message Edited by demi on 08-06-2008 08:14 AM

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 14
cobra19
Valued Contributor

When I purchased Castle Cobra brand new in 1998 - I had nothing. I mean nothing - zero. Just my clothes, computer, books, and a quilt blanket. I bought a 4800 sq. ft. 4 bedroom, 4-bath house in a gated community. I slept on the floor for the first 2 weeks until my bed arrived. I sloooooooowly furnished the place over a period of 3 years.  

Went to Macys first for towels, sheets, pillow cases, etc. The only things I had the first 2 weeks was a fridge and TV - no matter what, I made sure the cable guy came the day I moved in.

Of course, I am a single guy so stuff like tables, chairs, couches were not high priority items.   

I did not buy stuff until the previous stuff I bought was paid off. Got a washer/dryer first. When those two were paid off, I got a couch and a couple of chairs. When that was paid off, I purchased chester drawers, etc.  

It's an exciting time moving into your own home - enjoy it.

Message Edited by cobra19 on 08-06-2008 08:17 AM
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 14
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

We bought a LOT of cheap used furniture when we started! 

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 08-06-2008 10:23 AM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I would open up an account and every payday put money in it.  Because you dont know what your house will look like yet.  (colors) Put it where it can draw a bit of interest but you can get to it easy when you are ready.  Vicki
Message 5 of 14
irish_girl
Valued Member

We moved into a larger house, and had to furnish several extra rooms. I found that looking at church thrift stores and Goodwill stores (code word GDub), you can really find some nice furniture pieces. We tend to frequent the GDubs in the nicer neighborhoods, It's amazing what people just give away. Even though our house is furnished now, we still go, just to see what is there.  
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

House warming

Thrift stores

Clearance Aisles

Yard Sales

Look for a local recycling group(can't think of the proper name right off hand) but it is group of people who list items they have to get rid of, mostly free, sometimes cheap. Keeps it in use and out of the landfills. Check yahoo groups for these types of groups.

Auctions - especially estate auctions

Close family and friends - make it known that you'll be getting a new home soon and if they plan to be purchasing new furniture, dishes, etc that you'd be interested in their former items.

After you get all settled in your cozy little home, you can start upgrading your items one at a time. Buy new dishes when the budget allows, pass your old ones to someone like yourself. Then purchase new curtains, etc.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started buying things while I was waiting for my house to be completed.  Have a plan in place, have a design in mind, so you don't buy things on impulse or find later that it really doesn't go with other things you bought.

Don't buy anything on credit, or in other words something you can't afford to pay cash for.  I wouldn't want to go into a new house with a new mortgage to get used to on top of a bunch of wracked up credit cards.  And it also won't adversely effect your credit or loan application.

As others said, thrift stores, yard sales, BIG discount sales. Linens N Things is going out of business and I have been stopping by once a week to look at what's left and how far the prices have come down.  Look past the finishes on thrift store items and imagine it re-finished or painted. A really ugly headboard can be painted or covered with foam and material. Funky old lamps that are back in style and just need a modern shade.  Dishes can be very cheap there too.  Make a list of the basic things you need and stick it in your purse ready for when you see something and check it off.

If you can sew a hem you can make curtains.  Just a pocket for the rod on the top and hem the other 3 sides... discount fabric stores might come in handy for that and the one near me I can get material for $1, $2, $3 per yard.  6 yards of fabric (18 feet) is enough to make two standard 84" panels.  A little extra for matching throw pillows.  I buy really cheap throw pillows with fabric that is so ugly that no one wanted to buy them and re-cover them.  Curtain rods can be pretty expensive too.  Buy a wood dowel at a lumber yard, stain or paint it, can even get finials there too or just a wooden ball to finish the rod ends.

Fixing, re-finishing and making things for your new house gives you a sense of pride that you did it yourself and will pass the time until you move.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

We got some great deals from model homes. Our bedroom suite (Cal King) was purchased for $500. Had a Bed w/ headboard & footboard, two nightstands and a TV armoire.

We got great couches- 1 black leather couch and a leather chair to match $400, and a love seat and sofa for another $500.

We bought my coffee table on sale from JCP, but I love them to death--LOTS of storage.

These are great places to go for "gently used" things. I am a bargain baby at heart. Now the electronics--no expense spared. The TV cost more than the furniture and we bought Blu-ray before the price came down. (Yes I hate to admit it, I paid $1k for a DVD player.)

Other places have great small accessory things--IKEA! We love that place for hangers, lamps and picture frames!

They have GREAT wooden hangers. I no longer use plastic.
Message 9 of 14
brownee
Frequent Contributor

Wow, thanks y'all! All great ideas. I love the one about GDub..lol...never heard it called that before, but DH knew what it was as soon as I said it.  I'm game for looking anywhere for this stuff. As long as its nice stuff, i'm good.

You know, miahmarie, you said to check the model homes and I had been wondering what they did with that stuff once the homes were all built. That's a great idea and i'll have to check that out.

I also like the idea of having a list for what we'll need and keeping it with me. I've tried looking online for a template or list of things homes need, but can't find one. I guess I could just look around home now and see what's there..LOL.  Maybe i'll just make up my own template. Smiley Very Happy
7/7/09 TU: 630 EQ: 638 EX: ??
4/3/09 TU: 599 EQ: 606 EX: ??
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.