Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Fraud

tag
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Amex Fraud

Someone tried to use the credentials for my Amex EveryDay card to make two charges. The first went through for $2, the second for over $200 was declined. It looks like both charges were made in SC, I live in CA. I received a push notification for the first charge and simultaneously Amex's fraud department called my cell phone. 

True Story.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Fraud

Amazing how quick most lenders can catch fraud these days.  Will have a new card by tuesday I am guessing

Message 2 of 11
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Amazing how quick most lenders can catch fraud these days.  Will have a new card by tuesday I am guessing

not sure, I don't use the card much so they can take their time. 

Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

I've heard the first charge which is usually $1.00-$2.00 is to test if it will go through 

Followed by a bigger charge 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I've heard the first charge which is usually $1.00-$2.00 is to test if it will go through 

Followed by a bigger charge 

That makes sense, I figured thats what it was for. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

Someone tried to use the credentials for my Amex EveryDay card to make two charges. The first went through for $2, the second for over $200 was declined. It looks like both charges were made in SC, I live in CA. I received a push notification for the first charge and simultaneously Amex's fraud department called my cell phone. 

True Story.

Good job on the part of Amex.  The $2 charge was a test..

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

True Story.

That happened to me at Christmas.  I was on a plane when it happened.  Landed to multiple texts and voicemails from US Bank.  I was walking thru the airport, cell phone battery dying, charger in my checked bag, trying to deal with it. Someone tried to buy a cell phone in Chicago. US Bank had my new card to where I was staying.

The very next day, someone used my Southwest card in California. Chase didn't get that card to me until I was back home.

It sucks when it happens, but amazing how quickly it's caught anymore.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

A while ago, I received a text message from AmEx for an Apple Store purchase I didn't make. My first call to AmEx resulted in a CSR who couldn't see the pending transaction (despite it appearing on my end when logged into their website), followed by a claim that I received some sort of "phishing" text message. I HUCA and got a different person who was able to cancel the card and send me another one but it still left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Fortunately I haven't had any further fraud on my AmEx cards and that might have been a one-time screwup on their part, but I hope not to have to test them again.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry that this happened to you, but I am glad that it was caught so quickly!

@-Cal- wrote:

True Story.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Happened to me with my Amex 3 times and I haven't even had the account for a year. Same $1 charge at overstock.com. I don't even shop there
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.