Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Open Letter to PenFed

tag
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

An Open Letter to PenFed

Dear PenFed:

Please stop using COBOL and FORTRAN to program your applications, systems and websites. Get your act together pay some real professionals and upgrade your computer and network systems like every other venerated financial institution has.

And while your at it, get a new credit card producer. The smudges, scrapes, scratches and overall sloppy construction of your credit cards are an embarrassment.

Thank you for your time. Please reply.

Signed,

Every PenFed Member

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: An Open Letter to PenFed

Are they really using Fortran? I have never heard if a business using that.

I have read most financial and insurance companies use COBOL on back end. But what is your problem with their site.
Message 2 of 18
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

I do not have a problem with their site.  Furthermore, why are you worried about the program used for the inner workings of their website?.  

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 18
manyquestions
Established Contributor

LOL.  There's got to be a good story behind this post.  What happened?

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their email system seems to be pretty glitchy. First it told me that I had opted out of emessages when I hadn’t, then it told me that I didn’t sign up for estatements when I had. I had to call PenFed both times to make sure.
Message 5 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

LolSmiley Happy

Pf website is about exciting as drying paintSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 18
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Although not related to their website, after being a member for 40+ years we have just closed all of our accounts with PenFed. NFCU and DCU get all our business, they are happy to have us and we are happy to be with both - PenFed, long story, but it's a great feeling to no longer have anything to do with them. 

Message 7 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

I'm an old mainframe FORTRAN programmer.  back in the day FORTRAN and EXEC-8 ruled.

We used to make fun of the COBOL programmers by suggesting COBOL function like:

PERFORM

inappropriate behavior in workplace

UNTIL FIRED

These days it's Windows C/C++ programming.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

I'm an old mainframe FORTRAN programmer.  back in the day FORTRAN and EXEC-8 ruled.

PERFORM

UNTIL FIRED

Oh ... do you use Basic and RPG II or III also? Probably workd on an IBM 370 or a Univac 1107. Try your hand at the ENIAC Computer? Bet you know Software DOS 6.22 and Windows NT4? Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

PERFORM

UNTIL FIRED

C# and .NET whatever version MS vomited up this month seems to be the most common in my line of work.  Followed by Java, 800+ frameworks, and the "lets throw every pattern at it" pattern.

One of my favorite quotes: "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do you blow your whole **bleep** leg off."

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.