Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An etiquette question re: thank you notes

tag
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

An etiquette question re: thank you notes

Hi myFICOers!

12 weeks ago I attended the wedding of one of my good friends from high school.  We're 26 now, and she's the first in my group of friends to get hitched.  My dad also attended as he know her parents well.  The thing is, neither of us have received a thank you note yet (we each gifted something to the couple).  Seeing as how this is the first non-family wedding I've been to, I'm not sure what the etiquette is supposed to be here.  Should I mention this to her? Should my dad ask her parents? Should we ignore it? Or do you think they just haven't started writing notes yet? Or do people just...not write thank you notes any more?

I feel a little silly asking this but I'm new to this whole wedding business, and I'd better ask now since I'm sure she won't be the only friend getting married in the near future Smiley Wink

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: An etiquette question re: thank you notes

I've been married for longer than I haven't been, so I don't really know. Times may have changed. Did you google Emily Post? She can be highly entertaining by the way; in 1928 she claimed that "to 'zigzag' the fork from left hand to right hand at nearly every mouthful is a ridiculous practice of the would-be elegant that is never seen in best society."

Message 2 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

IMO, the gift receiver should have sent thank you notes!

You might mention to her that your dad still goes the mailbox every day, hoping to see a thank you note from her and her hubby becuase that is how he raised you.   I dunno if the hint will work or not, but it might be worth a try.

Message 3 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

PS - I still send thank you notes.   It may take me a month or two to get them in the mail, but I do it anyways.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

@isoldmyatlas wrote:

Hi myFICOers!

12 weeks ago I attended the wedding of one of my good friends from high school.  We're 26 now, and she's the first in my group of friends to get hitched.  My dad also attended as he know her parents well.  The thing is, neither of us have received a thank you note yet (we each gifted something to the couple).  Seeing as how this is the first non-family wedding I've been to, I'm not sure what the etiquette is supposed to be here.  Should I mention this to her? Should my dad ask her parents? Should we ignore it? Or do you think they just haven't started writing notes yet? Or do people just...not write thank you notes any more?

I feel a little silly asking this but I'm new to this whole wedding business, and I'd better ask now since I'm sure she won't be the only friend getting married in the near future Smiley Wink

Hello, yes your friend should send out thank you cards or notes recently i got married and i sent thank you cards out 8 weeks later. The last 3 weddings i attended i did not recieve thank you cards or notes. Give your friend time the couple may send out thank you christmas cards.

Message 5 of 8
rebroker212
Established Member

While the proper thing to do would be to send thank you cards on their part , on your part it would not be considered good etiquette to point out their bad etiquette

Message 6 of 8
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Message 7 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Thank you notes really should be sent within 3 months after the wedding.  People can just be 'thoughtless' at times. 

I traveled to Austria and was asked by a friend to 'swing' over to where the Sound of Music was filmed and pick up a few souveniers.  Ok, but it wasn't around the corner...it was over one and a half hours, by bus, one way.  I was happy to do it, yet never received a proper Thank You card.  Live and Learn, right?

I hope you receive the Thank You note...and soon.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.