cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Birkenstocks owners here?

tag
poum

Any Birkenstocks owners here?

Our engineering department relaxed a bit on the dress code (jeans, sandals, etc are now allowed), unless we have customers/management visiting. I have a few co-workers that wear the Birkenstock clogs, and they pretty much say the same thing: Birkenstocks are uglier than sin, and they are more comfortable than anything they have ever worn.  I do like the fact that they have a wide toe box, which will benefit this flat-footed bare foot runner. I am on my feet 6-8 hours a day, but I have no issues. I do like the easy on/off of the clogs, and the wide toe box, as many of my shoes, though comfortable, are a little restrictive.

My question is to any Birkenstock owners: are they worth the price?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any Birkenstocks owners here?

I would say that any shoe that fits you well and doesnt hurt your feet in anyway is worth the price.  I personally feel  a person can not get comfortable if your feet are uncomfortable.  Birkenstocks are really nice because they form to your feet and wear well, but personally prefer naots which are even more expensive, but form to my feet better.  If you can find a place that sells any of these shoes, it would definitely help to try them on and see what feels good.  By the way, dont buy a pair shoes unless it feels good in the store--at least in my opinion--the shoe may never stretch to fit your foot right.

Message 2 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I love my Birkenstock shoes. I don't care how bad they look, they are so darn comfortable. Sure they're expensive, but for the amount of comfort and the quality of craftsmanship, I think they're well worth it.

Message 3 of 9
Established Contributor

I bought my first sandals from Birkenstock in January. They were expensive, but the absolute best sandals I have ever owned.

The arch support, in particular, is fantastic. I will only buy Birkenstock sandals from now on.

I live in Phoenix so sandals are a must out here!Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I wear sandals year-round (when I'm not at work), but Birkenstocks have never appealed to me.  Part of it is because they don't seem to make the kind of sport sandals that I prefer.

I'm a devotee of Chaco Sandals, having worn them almost exclusively for about 15 years.  Recently, I bought a pair of Keens with the covered toes, and I like those quite a bit.  Both of these have the more sporty look, certainly not as dressy (and also not as expensive) as Birkenstocks.

Message 5 of 9
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Personally, I say forget Birkenstocks. The most comfortable footwear on the face of the earth are Vibram Fivefingers. Not only are they comfortable; but the strength, balance and agility you will get from wearing them can only be experenced to be believed. 

Plus they're only kinda funny looking as opposed to outright ugly. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 9
demi
Established Contributor

They use to be comfortable for me, but I broke my foot and have a pin right where a bump on the show is, no way now!  Even when I used to wear, I found it took a long time to get used to them, the idea of comfort in the store didn't work for me.

Right now my favorite sandals (although I would never wear to work) are Croc sandals...ugly as sin, but very comfortable.  Last week on vacation I found some called Fit Flops....in the 60 to 80 dollar range.  I said no way would I EVER pay that much for a pair of flip flops...then I tried them on.  Ordered two pairs last night.  They are suppose to be great for plantar facitis...I have had two back surgeries, I will pay the price for comfort.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 9
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

My DH has a pair of birkenstocks that have lasted for more than 4 years - he usually goes through a pair of shoes in 1 year!  Additionally, he doesn't need to wear extra support for them, and he does for ALL other shoes, including Merrills!

So yeah, worth the money...plus, they will fix them (for a small fee) and thus they last forever!

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

Worth the price?  All good shoes, Birks or not, are getting pretty expensive. I have very wide feet, and find it hard to find comfortable shoes, and end up paying through the nose for "dress" shoes I can wear to work.

But Birks, if you like them, have a very long usable life, especially if you keep them well sealed and replace the soles occasionally. troll Ebay for good prices, and the major online retailers for styles on sale or clearance.  I've worn them almost exclusively when I'm not at work for over 35 years, and I have many pairs.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.