Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Muslims out here, got a question...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Muslims out here, got a question...

Let me explain this fully first. I have a friend who is a Palestinian Muslim, he is in his 50s and pretty conservative by nature. He was my supervisor at work and we had many interesting discussions/debates (never religion related, usually politics or modern events). I have met his wife and most of his children. He is no longer my supervisor (I moved to a different department for more opportunities) and recently he invited me to come to his house one weekend for lunch/dinner and catch up with what has been going on in our lives.
Now my question is what sort of gift can I bring that would be proper and not disrespectful to him when I come over? Since I obviously have little concern about religion and live in the USA, what I would normally bring over to a friends house would be beer. Which I obviously cannot do in this case. Personally I feel like I am taking advantage of his hospitality if I do not bring something with me. I want to show my appreciation and respect at his offer of inviting me over to his home.
I guess I should also add that I would believe he has adapted pretty well at the merging of both cultures in his life (Western and Middle Eastern). He was raised in the Middle East (like most Palestinians, in a number of different countries). I would say he is very conservative by Western standards, but most likely progressive by Islamic standards (from what I remember of our conversations).
What would be a good gift/present to bring? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated  Smiley Happy  This weekend get together is not going to happen till July (I do not have weekends off until then), so I have time to get the perfect gift Smiley Happy
Thanks in advance!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Any Muslims out here, got a question...

Food would be good.  I watch this the Best things I Ate show on TV and one of the foods was Kanafeh.  Also if it is going to be dinner, you could ask if there was anything you could bring to the meal.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 5
pakman92
Established Contributor

In almost all cultures, bring flowers is appropriate.  For his wife/household of course...

@marty56 wrote:

Food would be good.  I watch this the Best things I Ate show on TV and one of the foods was Kanafeh.  Also if it is going to be dinner, you could ask if there was anything you could bring to the meal.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a quick Google search and found a few links.

Have to admit, the dietary "code" itself makes a lot more sense when considering why it's there. Interesting reading.

Message 4 of 5
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Asked my housemate. He advised something for desert, that's sweet. Says the food tends to have a lot of salt.

Hope this helps.

J

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.