cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Photographers out there?? Need advice!! :)

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Any Photographers out there?? Need advice!! :)

Im looking to purchase my first "real" camera...not just a point and shoot, but talking DSLR camera for shooting sports.   Ive  been researching so much, and now feel like Im overwhelmed with all the information.

I need a good camera, one that will last a long time. From what Ive been reading I need/want the following so far....

DSLR

75-300 lens

5-7 min fps

18-24 mp

Am I on the right track??  What else do I need to be looking for?  I definitely want FAST shutter speed for action. 

What brand is better?  

ANY suggestions would be most helpful...Thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any Photographers out there?? Need advice!! :)

We use for work a Nikon 6800 we bought about 3 years ago paid under $300. We take all our pics with it with a High Def Memory card. We even shoot some short videos 

We take several hundred pics a week withit and love it. After this price point you will get into the big bucks camera and we just could not justify it.  

Message 2 of 10
gibeon
Established Contributor

Pizza - I've been doing photography for decades (since before autofocus was common).

The most important question is: What is your budget? $500 $1,000 $2,000 $3,000?

As for what to buy - it somewhat depends on budget, but I would invest more in lenses than camera body - bodies will last a while, but a good lens can last a lifetime, 

I would focus on the options from Canon and Nikon. There are a lot of great camera brands, but these two are the most popular - which means you'll have the most options for lenses and long-term compatibility.

Shutter speed - fast is great for freezing action, and even the cheapest DLSR's will go up to 1/4000 of a second - which is plenty fast enough for freezing just about anything in the sports world. More expensive cameras will go to 1/8000, but it's hard to notice a difference unless your photographing bullets or sports that are in bright sunlight with a fast lens.

I personally like Nikon, but have used Canon in the past. I've switched over to Fuji because I like the controls and experience better, but I don't shoot action. 

Let us know what your budget looks like, and what sport(s) you'll be shooting, and we can give more specific recommendations.

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 3 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@gibeon wrote:

Pizza - I've been doing photography for decades (since before autofocus was common).

As for what to buy - it somewhat depends on budget, but I would invest more in lenses than camera body - bodies will last a while, but a good lens can last a lifetime, 

I would focus on the options from Canon and Nikon. There are a lot of great camera brands, but these two are the most popular - which means you'll have the most options for lenses and long-term compatibility.

Shutter speed - fast is great for freezing action, and even the cheapest DLSR's will go up to 1/4000 of a second - which is plenty fast enough for freezing just about anything in the sports world. More expensive cameras will go to 1/8000, but it's hard to notice a difference unless your photographing bullets or sports that are in bright sunlight with a fast lens.

I personally like Nikon, but have used Canon in the past. I've switched over to Fuji because I like the controls and experience better, but I don't shoot action. 

Let us know what your budget looks like, and what sport(s) you'll be shooting, and we can give more specific recommendations.

Budget is around $400-$800 max for now...

Shooting indoor basketball where lighting is sometimes dull/dim, and outdoor baseball 

Thanks for your info, and suggestionsSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

With DSLR's there is crop frame and full frame.  The full frame are the very expensive ones and do best in very low light.  But you can get just as good of shots with crop frame in most conditions where there is a decent amount of light.  The key is using a good lens and not the lenses that come with the cameras.  You can still get much better shots than a regular digital camera with the included lens, but the difference is night and day with great lenses.  You can get fixed aperture prime lenses for a good deal, but the zoom lenses can cost a pretty penny.  Shoot in RAW mode and you also need a memory card that writes very fast, UHS-II if you plan to shoot successive bursts.

Message 5 of 10
JRAGS28
Established Member

I bought the T6i kit , which comes with two lenses, the bag, it also has the video , which allows me to record video . I use it primary for shooting my grandchildren sporting events both indoor and outdoor. I also you it for taking pictures at family functions and vacations. it's a very versitial camera for us moderate users.. If you can catch it on sale a Sam's club or Best Buy then you'll for within your budget . Also check Ebay under Canon digital camera kits   I love mines.. Hope this helps.  J

Message 6 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

everyone thanks so much for the replies! sorry I couldn't get back on and respond any quicker!!! My quest continues for my camera, weighing the options out there like,buying a kit vs just the body and purchase a nice lens.

I appreciate all the suggestions and advice!! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Pizza, you might look at some of the better all in one cameras too, especially in your price range. I used to do a LOT of film shooting and used Olympus OM-1, OM-4 etc had a ton of lenses too. Big heavy and worth very little when everything went digital (Paid $2700 for a first generation Digital mainly for web work - think 8 bit PC's). Couple years ago I bought an Olympus Syylus 1s and it does everything I need (zoon, fast lens, "power drive shots", etc).

My sister and her husband are both professional photographers (retired from the business) they carry a Canon G7 Mark II now for just about anything. 

Just another option....

Message 8 of 10
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Pizza, I purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera With EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit 18MP.  It takes wonderful pictures.  Purchased a zoon lens for it that should be arriving any day.  Purchased these from an eBay vendor, National Product Sales (nps).  Have made many purchases from nps and never been disappointed.  Most of their merchandise is new.  My granddaughters are very serious photographers with very expensive cameras and they recommended only the Canon brand.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 9 of 10
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@gibeon wrote:

Budget is around $400-$800 max for now...

Shooting indoor basketball where lighting is sometimes dull/dim, and outdoor baseball 

Thanks for your info, and suggestionsSmiley Happy

Pizza1....For a very good Digital DSLR 400-800 is a tiny budget. I have a cannon xti also known as 400D, that I have had for a long time, and just some of the lenses I have cost over 500 dollars, and those are not the top of the line lenses, which can cost up in the thousands. For that kind of money you will probably be better off sticking to one of the better digital cameras with a fixed lens. Any high quality DSLR with a couple of good lenses will be more....a lot more.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.