Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Plumbers in the fico fam?

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Any Plumbers in the fico fam?

haulingthescoreup - I have insurance for sewer back up!  I don't know if it would cover a septic back up, but I would hope it would!

Message 11 of 26
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Oh, I know it wasn't a contest ... your stories just reminded me how much worse it could have been.  And yes, that water company is very nice.  I do recall complaining about the last bill, but since we haven't been here long, I couldn't remember the norm, and just let it go....

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 12 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@IOBA wrote:

haulingthescoreup - I have insurance for sewer back up!  I don't know if it would cover a septic back up, but I would hope it would!

We had insurance for the umm on the floor (although it didn't reach the deductible.) The killer was pulling out the septic tank, buying and planting a new one, and relaying the field.

Honey wagons don't come cheap!! Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 26
IOBA
Senior Contributor

haulingthescoreup - awh, I guess the deductible wasn't that **bleep**ty then, huh?  Smiley Wink    (I am sorry - I couldn't resist the pun!)

I can imagine the pain of having to dig up, replace, and relay.   I am sorry you had that experience.

When I was in HS, a guy friend of mine was flushing his latex down the toilet.   I walked around the side of his house and found his um, latex on the ground.   I mentioned it to him, his mom found out, and learned that they had some kind of sewer problem...   I never found out what kind of problem.   Broken sewer pipe?  A real septic tank from the old days despite being in a uh, crowded neighborhood?   Anyways, he was busted.   And grounded.   And he didn't get to c....well, that would have been another bad pun.   

Message 14 of 26
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

HVAC company owner here, but no plumbing Smiley Sad

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 15 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Wanted to post my story:

Hey guys!  We closed January 24, and I wanted to tell my story, since IOBA alerted me to this thread.

We just had a 4k repair bill for some plumbing and septic work. We knew there was a problem when the septic water was going into my daughters bathtub... there was about 2 inches of this nasty water in there...  so we called a plumber the same day.

The plumber came out, didn't know where the tank was and didn't have someone with him to help him lift the toilet off so that he can run the camera through,

The piping from the house to the septic tank was collapsed, and the piping going out to our lateral field was collapsed. The junction boxes to our lateral field were originally made of concrete... they were in chunks...   We contacted our plumber, and after we told him that we had just bought the house he asked if we had had him do an inspection on the plumbing. We said no, my realtor didn't recommend it, and I was trying to save money on the front end. Our General Inspector did inspect our little aerobic system that connects to our outbuilding. Anyways, if we had contacted them and had them come out and do the inspection, he would have done those repairs for free.

In oklahoma, the summer was super hot and dry, we had been under drought conditions for a long time. We didn't start realizing we had problems until the ground got wet from rain, and suddenly our septic wasn't going out anymore!!  The ground was so dry before the rain, that everything was able to be absorbed into the surrounding soil without causing us problems. We are lucky that the backflow was contained in the bathtub and didn't cause problems in the rest of the house.

I wanted to post this experience to help other out and to make sure that people are aware that there can be unseen issues which can cost you big money later on. We spent 4k on these repairs!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 16 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Ouch, ouch, ouch! Smiley Surprised Smiley Sad

In the past, DXH and I were always too cheap to drop $200-$500 on an inspection of a house we wanted to buy, but years of watching HGTV has cured that, at least for me.

One of my kids just bought a house and paid for an inspection. It was worth its weight in gold. She now knows what has to be fixed and when, and what can ride along for a while, and it definitely helped when making the offer and writing the contract.

Cheaping out is never, ever worth it when it comes to something like buying a house!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

I wanted to post this experience to help other out and to make sure that people are aware that there can be unseen issues which can cost you big money later on. We spent 4k on these repairs!

The day of closing on a house is not the day the expenses stop. It's only the beginning!  Smiley Happy

I've owned homes for almost 40 years and learned long ago that there will always be some type of maintenance or repair needed.

I'm afraid there are many first time home buyers who have blinders on when it comes to this.

Edited for another lazy typo.

Message 18 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I've always balked at condos and similar arrangements where I would have to make an additional payment each month, on top of the PITI payment.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that homeowners ought to be putting about that same amount into a dedicated savings account every month, in preparation for the inevitable.

Still not ready for a condo, though. Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 26
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Lol - had a conversation with son about signing a College Contract.  He balked and flat out refused to even consider a contract.

But this is related to this thread becuase he is a drain on my finances (while in school) and it's a **bleep** load of money!   (Puns intention!).

In the contract, he has to submit a weekly expense sheet that shows three different categories.

1.  How he spent his money.

2.  What expenses he has coming up for the next week.

3.  How much is in the reserve fund.   

I'll design the sheet to have a running tally on the side so he can track how much life really costs.

No expense sheet turned in, then no money.   

In MY budget, I have x amount set aside for his college life, twice a month.   I was going to let him manage it but decided that I am not going to do that without some accountability.  

This is not an exact science yet, but it gives you an idea.  I think the full $500 will go into the reserve fund, and just pull out money on a weekly basis to put into his checking account.

So, I put aside $1000 for the month.   One payment on the 15th, one on the 30th.

Week one (January 1-7) he needs $100 for food.   

Week two (January 8-14) he needs $25 for food.

$500 allocated, $125 needed, $375 goes into reserve fund.

Week three (Janaury 15-21) he needs $35 for internet & cell phone.

Week four (Janaury 22-28) he needs $15 for food.

Week five (January 29-February 4) he needs $250 for rent & food.

$500 allocated, $300 needed, $200 goes into the reserve fund.

A reserve fund is built up for the tuition hits, unexpected fees, and that oh so very expensive year abroad.    Sadly, my son does not think that far ahead and he thinks a year abroad will cost about the same as a year at his home base.

As for my personal budget, I do set aside money into a reserve fund too for maintenance (human, auto, and residence).   Smiley Happy   It's not much, but it's a little every payday.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.