Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Rver's out there?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Rver's out there?

I have a question that I hope is not stupid. I have never had to worry about buying propane for a travel trailer before so I really am not sure of what to do here. One of my tanks is empty and there a few places within walking distance of my house that do the tank exchanges (such as walmart) Can I just go there and exchange the tanks or will I have to go to a refilling station.

The tanks I have look about the same size as the ones walmart offers. I don't need much as I only use propane for my hot water heater.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any Rver's out there?

You can take your empty tank to any exchange place for a new one. I think they they just clean them up and refill them. You can also have your old ones filled for less money than the exchange. Some gas stations have propane that the attendant can fill up your old one for you. It is usually less expensive to go that route.

If you are just using your tank for your RV than chances are it would be easier to have them refill your old tanks than exchange for new ones. I sometimes exchange tanks for my BBQ because they get greasy and dirty.

It's about $20 for an exchange and about $15 to get a standard 20 pound tank refilled (prices vary of course).

Just go to your nearest gas station that sells propane and bring your empty tank and tell them you need a refill.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 2 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to Dizbuster. I'm not a RV'er but grill quite a bit with propane. There are likely places around you who can fill your tank for a relatively cheap price. I don't recall ever seeing a propane place at a gas station here locally (state and local laws do vary), but there are other places out there that will fill it up. Takes only a couple minutes.
Message 3 of 9
demi
Established Contributor

I don't know anything about RV's...but I do a lot of barbequeing.  Only problem with filling, some stations have a minimum, if thats the case, you may be paying as much as exchanging.  To get around that, I had two tanks, would fill both at the same time.  I did start exchanging because is was pain to go to the propane place.  If you decide to exchange, shop around for prices, Walmart was pretty reasonable in comparison to others.

One of the options I paid extra for in my new house was a gas line for the barbeque, hasta la vista propane.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have a fiver that we live in (we have to be mobile for my hubbys job).  We have a 100lb and (2) 30 lb propane tanks and we have them filled. 

If we ever get to where we do not have to be mobile we will have a company bring out a reg tank (250 gal) and run a trench and cover a line and hook it to the fiver.  Much cheaper buying propane for the bigger tanks.

Of course I cook and we use propane for the hot water heater in the summer (so we can run both a/cs) and switch to elec in the winter when we use propane for heat.  Good Luck Vicki

Message 5 of 9
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:
Ditto to Dizbuster. I'm not a RV'er but grill quite a bit with propane. There are likely places around you who can fill your tank for a relatively cheap price. I don't recall ever seeing a propane place at a gas station here locally (state and local laws do vary), but there are other places out there that will fill it up. Takes only a couple minutes.

I sometimes forget I'm talking to people from all over the country Smiley Happy In Washington State there are many gas stations that also sell propane. The attendant fills it up for you. Prices can also vary greatly I'm sure, but usually less than $20 will get you a full tank of propane.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that I can have them refilled BUT I have no transportation and there is not a refilling station within walking distance there is however 2 exchange places within 5 blocks of where I live. It would be easier for me to exchange. Propane must be a lot cheaper in places other than where I live.
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

jeepgirl1975 wrote:
I know that I can have them refilled BUT I have no transportation and there is not a refilling station within walking distance there is however 2 exchange places within 5 blocks of where I live. It would be easier for me to exchange. Propane must be a lot cheaper in places other than where I live.

Wow, I'd hate to be humping home a full propane tank for 5 blocks. Your arms will soon look like Linda Hamilton's in Terminator II!

Here in East Tennessee, pretty much any place that sells beer also has a propane tank swap station. Plus Walmart, Kroger, and so forth.

eta: Hubby thinks that a typical charge for a 5-gallon swap in our area is about fifteen bucks.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-27-2009 05:02 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If this is something you may have to do a lot, maybe even investing in a little wagon would be a good idea. This way you can pull it home instead of having to carry it.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.