Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any runners out there?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Any runners out there?

I've been committed to the Marine Corps Marathon for next year and have about 60 or so weeks to prepare. I haven't ran since college back about 14 yrs ago. I'm definitely not in shape to even take a lap around the track, but I'm getting there pretty quickly with weight loss and a positive diet.

What resources/websites, etc. do you recommend a newbie to get in shape for a marathon? What works best for you and what didn't work well for you? Any success stories you'd be willing to share? Yes, I know this isn't a running forum, but it is always good to hear an objective opinion from sources other than a running blog or forum.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Any runners out there?

Warning - the human body was not designed to run a marathon.  The first man who did dropped dead.  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 24
Established Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

Warning - the human body was not designed to run a marathon.  The first man who did dropped dead.  Smiley Very Happy

+1

You are exactly right. Nevertheless, he did make it to his intended destination Athens.

Now, that is some real encouragement for you llecs!Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

plasticman wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

+1

You are exactly right. Nevertheless, he did make it to his intended destination Athens.

Now, that is some real encouragement for you llecs!Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Very Happy Thanks, guys. I knew there was something wrong with exercise! It's bad for you. There should be a Surgeon General's Warning on every pair of running shoes: Running can be hazardous for your health.

That's what I'm afriad of. Every year, there's always that one poor soul that drops dead. With others' advice on here, I hope to avoid that as much as possible.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before you start training for marathons you really want to start training for shorter runs and getting used to that and building up your stamina... try and do some 5 and 10 k races over the next 6-8 months just to get yourself used to competing.  A decent beginners marathon training schedule will take about 18 weeks to complete - this one is not bad

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm

Message 5 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Susyquk. Sounds similar to this regimin:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

-Sounds like a lot of rest is key. Before meeting my DW, I used to run about 5 miles daily w/out any breaks, and I think, along with a terrible diet, did me in.

Message 6 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just let your body recover between training sessions. We're all getting older, ahem, and your joints and spine are taking notes on how you're treating them now. They will most definitely rise up and smite you in the future if you beat them to death today.

My knee was repaired in March (partial medial menisectomy), but the ortho saw a lot of thin cartilage inside my knee, and I'm very close to having a couple of spots of bone-on-bone osteoarthritis. No cure for that except a new knee, and I need to hold off for at least 6 years before starting into that.

In the meantime, he recommended glucosamine/ chondroitin supplements (1500 mg/ 1200 mg.) If you're going to do serious running, I'd start taking these now. They're about a buck a day, aka expensive, but if they can save your hips and knees, they're worth it. I read charts every day of otherwise healthy veterans in their fifties whose knees and hips are shot from PT during their time in the military.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:
We're all getting older, ahem,....

Well some of us anyway. I figured that if a centenarian can run a marathon, then I can too less 65 yrs the junior.

haulingthescoreup wrote:
My knee was repaired in March (partial medial menisectomy), but the ortho saw a lot of thin cartilage inside my knee, and I'm very close to having a couple of spots of bone-on-bone osteoarthritis. No cure for that except a new knee, and I need to hold off for at least 6 years before starting into that.

In the meantime, he recommended glucosamine/ chondroitin supplements (1500 mg/ 1200 mg.) If you're going to do serious running, I'd start taking these now. They're about a buck a day, aka expensive, but if they can save your hips and knees, they're worth it. I read charts every day of otherwise healthy veterans in their fifties whose knees and hips are shot from PT during their time in the military.

Ouch...

We had recently changed up our diet (lost 43 since 7/6) and part of our new diet includes shellfish once weekly. DW takes a joint health supplement which includes glucosamine and noticed improved results from knee stress after walking/jogging and swimming. I'll certainly include an additional supplement before running. Thanks for the reminder.

You can't put a price tag on good health. Either spend some money now to maintain good health or spend gobs of money later (or your life).

Message 8 of 24
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Just let your body recover between training sessions. We're all getting older, ahem, and your joints and spine are taking notes on how you're treating them now. They will most definitely rise up and smite you in the future if you beat them to death today.

Yes, I can vouch for that statement.  I feel like I have been run over by a Mac truck.  Several times.

Message 9 of 24
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

I read charts every day of otherwise healthy veterans in their fifties whose knees and hips are shot from PT during their time in the military.

Does not have to be the military - a mis-spent youth will do it evert time!!

But a comment on Ilec's question - the actual marathon will absolutley clobber your immune system, so get ready to be ill soon after you have recovered from the run!

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.