cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody want to swap relatives with me for the holidays next year?

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Anybody want to swap relatives with me for the holidays next year?

May I suggest that we have Stepford relatives to go along with our Stepford wives.

Message Edited by marty56 on 12-27-2009 06:23 AM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 11 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I love my relatives, but there's a reason that I don't live with them...

We generally get along OK, with the occasional gritting of teeth and tactical retreats to bedrooms with doors that close. I will never understand why family members say things to one another that they wouldn't say to friends and co-workers. To me, "family" doesn't mean carte blanche to say anything you want, regardless of how it makes others feel. If anything, we ought to be kinder to family than to others. After all, they're the ones who have the goods on us. Smiley Wink

My step-father-in-law recently passed away after several years of worsening vascular dementia. Unfortunately, it brought out his mean streak. Somehow, my mother-in-love managed to keep him at home until the very end, when he had a stroke. Even then, she was trying to get him enrolled in intensive inpatient rehab, in hopes of getting him back home, when he died from a second stroke. None of us kids know how she was able to do it, in her mid-80's. They'd only been married 10 years or so, and he was a nice guy at the time. I hope that if I ever wind up in her situation, I have even a tenth of her strength and patience.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 18
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

as much as I love my family........... YES, please trade me. I'm reminded each time we get together that I am the black sheep of the family. Oy Vey!

I would like to have my daughter and grandson here, I miss them terribly.

Message 13 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

May I suggest that we have Stepford relatives to go along with our Stepford wives.

Marty56...you're brilliant!   And if we can't actually have Stepford relatives, how about life-sized standees of the relatives (you know...the cardboard cut-outs, like at the video store)?  I'd go for that, as long as they don't talk!   When the holidays are over, they can just be stacked in the attic until next year!  

Message 14 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

Marty56...you're brilliant!   And if we can't actually have Stepford relatives, how about life-sized standees of the relatives (you know...the cardboard cut-outs, like at the video store)?  I'd go for that, as long as they don't talk!   When the holidays are over, they can just be stacked in the attic until next year!  

Yes and they can be traded like baseball cards.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 15 of 18
sllbaker
Valued Member

"Better the devil you know than one you don't."

My family is full of insanity.  We have the Jerry Springer rejects, the Good-Two-Shoes Perfectionists and everything in between, from the Insane Mother, the trailer-park sister to the uptight Dr. Student Brother.  And even though most family get together's end up like some kind of side show soap opera, I think I'll keep the ones I have.  At least I know how to handle them.

Starting Score: EQ529 TU?
Current Score: EQ752 TU 749
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 18
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@sllbaker wrote:

"Better the devil you know than one you don't."

My family is full of insanity.  We have the Jerry Springer rejects, the Good-Two-Shoes Perfectionists and everything in between, from the Insane Mother, the trailer-park sister to the uptight Dr. Student Brother.  And even though most family get together's end up like some kind of side show soap opera, I think I'll keep the ones I have.  At least I know how to handle them.

Here! Here! Smiley Happy

I always swore that my family could win a prize for dysfunction and I dreaded extended family get togethers. But now that my mom and sister have been gone a couple years (lost them both during the last two years of grad school), I really, really miss it. Strange isn't it?

I think when you lose a loved one, it's the things that you thought drove you crazy that you miss the most.

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 17 of 18
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I feel guilty now for mentioning how challenging it was to be snowed in with my family (13 of us) from the Wednesday before Christmas until the Sunday after. In all, we cooked a lot, did a lot of dishes, blew a lot of snow, washed a lot of towels...etc. I was very glad when everyone finally got to go home because 4 nights was a lot. Roads didn't all open until that Sunday after Christmas. I wanted my life back.

In all...I don't think a cross or angry word was said in all those days. (Except between the Siberian Husky and my cat...that wasn't pretty.) I know that a lot of beer and diet Coke was utilized. I know we played Apples to Apples until 3 in the morning...and laughed, and laughed, and laughed. Then, we pretty much did it all again the next day. Built most of the Eiffel Tower in Legos. Watched movies. Watched 38 y/o son playing Worlds of Warcraft (almost) continuously on laptop. Saw Alvin and the Chipmunks a few more times than desired. Ages ranged from 2 y/o granddaughter with Down Syndrome to 70 y/o mother-in-law with remaining effects of bad stroke. I watched as my 16 y/o graciously baked pumpkin pies with her grandmother, when I knew it was the last thing in the world she wanted to do.

I realize that I have a wonderful family. I guess I wouldn't trade them. I feel very fortunate...even though I wanted my life back. I think the older we get, the more we get set in our ways.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.