cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody want to swap relatives with me for the holidays next year?

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Anybody want to swap relatives with me for the holidays next year?

Please?!?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Re: Anybody want to swap relatives with me for the holidays next year?

I'm in -

here's what you get - an ungrateful sister who opened her present on xmas eve - bought her a David Yurman ring - her reaction? Kim, do you like it? no, i hate Yurman, "everyone has it". Really Kim - it is designer jewlery....Kim "all i wanted was a sweater"  - me "I can't buy you clothes, you've put on too much weight and nothing will look good on you at this point" followed by her storming out of my house (yes I admit that was a rude comment to make, but her initial reaction was ungrateful and the two glasses of Glen Livet were talking at that point), taking the 1/2 gallon of rum i bought for my house. I didn't even get a present in return. OH, it gets better.......

I'm now stuck with my 74 year old mother, who has dementia. She tried to "escape" my sister apt on Xmas eve - managed to take a bus, ended up in State College, intercepted by sister in state college. Wants to go home. Feels she is a prisoner....She is now with me at my home. Dumped off here.

The only present I got this year was from my ex husband - a gift certificate (like I asked) to my medical spa and a "snuggie" - I thanked him and told him my body is too pretty to wear a snuggie, but thanks anyway.

YOu sure you wanna switch?

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Are you sure? Trust me you don't want mine. My 25yr DD made me cry the last few days.

But my granddaughters ages 7,8 and almost 10 made the day. A christmas tradition I look forward to.

We sang Happy Birthday to Jesus and blew out the candles on the cake.

Wow, sometimes the  little children act more grown-up, then the adults do. LOL 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Please?!?

No!  Me and my family had a great time without all the gift giving.  Good times!!

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The true secret to happiness and relationships is to be "child like" but not "childish."

I am sorry for those who have not enjoyed the season.  It is at times like those that I love to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart or the more recent "A Magic Christmas."

Other pick me ups are "Pay it forward"  "Blind Sided"  (new with Sandra Bullock - excellent), "Ground Hog Day" (Bill Murray).

These are classics that I keep easy reach for.  They help me to "feel" what is really important and to remember what I do appreciate, what is great in my life and how blessed I really am.  I don't mean to preach, but I believe that until we can learn to appreciate truly the blessings we have, we really cannot have any more.  We are given our families without a choice, and we pick our peers....and we get to figure out how to love both categories, without any contol upon those in either.

Happy Holidays...and may your families be safe!

Message Edited by txjohn on 12-26-2009 08:13 AM
Message 5 of 18
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Personally, I would trade you in a new york minute.  My sister's boyfriend is african-american.  He's educated, a loving father, pays his child support and treats my sister well.  My brother walks into my mother home and IMMEDIATELY begins to throw the N bomb around.  It went downhill from there.

I ended up sitting in my mothers bedroom with the kids, sad and depressed.  My sister ended up simply walking out.  Her kids are crying, my mom is upset, my dh is looking shocked and everyone is embarassed.  I left after two hours.  Ho Ho Ho.

Message 6 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

Personally, I would trade you in a new york minute.  My sister's boyfriend is african-american.  He's educated, a loving father, pays his child support and treats my sister well.  My brother walks into my mother home and IMMEDIATELY begins to throw the N bomb around.  It went downhill from there.

I ended up sitting in my mothers bedroom with the kids, sad and depressed.  My sister ended up simply walking out.  Her kids are crying, my mom is upset, my dh is looking shocked and everyone is embarassed.  I left after two hours.  Ho Ho Ho.

Poor family cannot accept diversity.  What a shame to ruin xmas or any other day that way.  

Message 7 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

txjohn, you have solved my holiday problems!

Next year, DW's/my relatives will all be at your house, watching movies.  And, because you're a nice guy, I suggest that you be out of town when they arrive. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I will be blissfully swimming in Glenmorangie and watching movies, too ("Saw",  "Saw II",  "Saw III", etc) with the relatives in my thoughts (for sure).

This morning, I'm driving to the airport (again) to drop off another relative at the terminal.  I'm expecting the usual litany from my passenger, including the 23 reasons why she can't eat squash, why we ever bothered to invite her in the first place, and how I messed up my life so badly by being with DW. 

After that, it's only 3 more relatives to go (and the sooner, the better!)

Loving from afar definitely has its merits!!

Message 8 of 18
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Uborrow - watching Saw, Saw II and Saw III and thinkig of family members....lol lol...that's the Christmas Spirit.

I would still trade you - i only have two family members (just sister and mother with dementia) that i would trade for 10 other relatives.

Dementia can be fun - this is what i heard this am

Mom to me:   did you put something in my coffee, like a pill or something, it tastes bitter"? *repeat question five or six times within five minutes****

Me:  "no mom, I didn't put anyting in your coffee - if anyone is getting something in their coffee, it's me, not you"

Mom to me:  did you take money out of my wallet?

Me:  no mom, i didn't take money out of your wallet, but while you were sleeping, I did rack up $100K in CC debt.

Crazy stuff.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Sounds like fun, daisyduke!   And I wish you well for the duration.

(Been there...done that).

But please, don't anybody misunderstand about the holidays...I'm in a good spirit, and I've had a smile pasted onto my face for the last few days, no matter what.  I'm just venting a little.  Some folks just don't belong in the same room with some other folks, ever.  It's not a wise thing to do, despite anyone's good intentions with "getting together with family" for Christmas.  I'm actually a bit proud of myself for maintaining the holiday spirit in spite of the negative influences that are visiting.

I'm looking at the bright side...they're just "visiting".   If they start picking out their permanent rooms, I'm getting a motorhome and driving down to Philly, where I hear all the gorgeous women refuse to wear Snuggies...

OK.  Gotta go load the precious luggage now...I'm hearing "we're going to be late" again...it's a 45 minute drive to the airport.  Flight leaves in 5 1/2 hours.

Guess I'd better put a move on.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.