Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Can Accept Credit Cards Now

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Anyone Can Accept Credit Cards Now

At one time (as far as I know), it was just businesses that could get merchange accounts to accept credit cards. Now. it seems like anyone can. You can get a card reader from companies like Square and ProPay. Then if you sell stuff online, local or where ever and the person wants to pay with a credit card, your all set.  Connect the reader to your phone or iPad, and swipe away! Or, you can even key in the numbers. It's amazing how much things are changing...

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone Can Accept Credit Cards Now

It's amazing how much I don't trust those things...I found a backyard mechanic on craigslist that used those.

I watched my account very carefully for a while after that day...

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 2 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

My close friend supports herself by doing papercrafting and selling at venue's.  Since she began accepting cc., her sales have doubled! 

I don't think I'd trust a backyard mechanic or anyone from Craig's....I do keep a Cap 1 with a small limit for shopping at farmer's markets, craft shows, etc.

Message 3 of 11
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

I have a square just to have one.  My wife does photography on the side and it's easier to swipe than dealing with depositing a check.  2.75% fee isn't that big of a deal.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 4 of 11
beb86
Valued Contributor

How long before "bad" people begin using square.....

Message 5 of 11
firesoul453
Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

How long before "bad" people begin using square.....

There might be some idiot that does this now and again, but it won't ever be a problem.

It would be WAY WAY WAY to easy to get caught. 

Only one person has to find a fraud charge on a card and the person using square or other device will get caught in no time. Even if they somehow manage to get the money and go into hiding, there is no way they could do it again.... And I don't know of a single credit card that doesn't offer refunds of fraudulent charges. 

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 6 of 11
beb86
Valued Contributor

i meant more like the street walkers and street pharmacists type of bad people.

Message 7 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

i meant more like the street walkers and street pharmacists type of bad people.

If you are buying drugs, chances are you want to use cash. Any form of electronic transfer (such as credit card) is traceable.

Message 8 of 11
Project17
New Contributor

Funny I saw a show the other night and they were talking about drug dealers in New Orleans and they showed one kid who took credit cards on his iphone with a square reader.. Of course the problem with thait's its so easy to track.. For that illegal activities you should be using cash or for side work .. Soon the IRS will just make companies take tax money out of peoples accounts!

I wouldn't be worried about some one swiping your card in person for a service even some from Craigslist.. People who do these things prefer people not to see their faces and its pretty easy for them to get people's credit info.

Message 9 of 11
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

I am more concerned about modifications being made to the readers available now into stealing your info/money in one swipe. (Like the ATM scamming readers fitted on random ATMs). A simple Craigslist "face-to-face" transaction could cost much more than what you thought.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.