Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone add cards to Apple Pay?

tag
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone add cards to Apple Pay?

Your card info is not stored on the iPhone. If it's lost or stolen nothing can get lifted from it. Even if someone could get into your device(not happening without iCloud password), there's only a "device account number" which is randomly generated. So yeah, it's about as secure and non intrusive as you can get

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 21 of 28
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

I added three cards today. Got a notice from BofA confirming my use of Apple Pay and they informed me that what's on my iPhone is not the exact account number on my card. I thought that was pretty cool of them to provide that bit of clarification to account holders. I wasn't able to add my Apple Card (Barclay). I found it amusing that it was not ready for it. 

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@RBFool wrote:

@JediNeo wrote:

Seems like a bad idea. I know more people who lose or have their phone stolen vs their wallet. Call me old fashion but I'll stick with swiping my plastic cards.

The idea here is that your phone is locked via finger print sensor. With that in mind if your phone got stolen... it's "secure"

Exactly. With that mentality. I'll stick with my horse and buggy. Smiley Embarassed

You need the registered fingerprint every time you pay. AFAIK, doesn't matter if you have a passcode or none, you must use Touch ID for every purchase.

Message 23 of 28
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Barclays is on the list of partners on Apple's page, but for "later this year"...I forgot about it and tried to add my Arrival Plus to no avail

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 24 of 28
thecheese
Established Member

@yfan wrote:

@thecheese wrote:

Except you have a better chance of your card info being stolen by swiping your card than you do this (see Target breach, Home Depot breach). Your card numbers are not stored on the phone or the "cloud", and on top of that you're gonna have to lose your finger as well for the theif to make any transactions. That is if they can use your stolen phone + finger before you remotely disable purchases.

Not exactly. First of all, the fingerprint isn't the only way to unlock your phone - there IS a backup password in case even you weren't able to make your finger available for some reason. Second, while Apple doesn't technically store your card numbers on the cloud or on the phone, the corresponding device account numbers ARE in fact stored on the phone's secure element.

In general, I agree that mobile payments are in the order of magnitude more secure than than traditional credit card transactions (at least in the US). There is, however, no such thing as tamper proof. :-)

While it's true that to unlock your phone you can use a passcode as an alternative, for using Apple Pay there is no passcode alternative. A fingerprint is the one and only way to complete a transaction (I used it twice today with no option of a passcode). Also, if they were to get the device account number for a card, they would still need to know the key/algorithm to generate the random transaction token for every purchase. I do agree that if someone can get physical access to your hardware, nothing is tamper proof. That theif better be at the top of his class at MIT and in desperate need of some play money Smiley Tongue

Message 25 of 28
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but it annoys me that cap one uses a generic image it seems instead of a picture of my quicksilver...lol

Ha!  I added mine and quickly deleted it because of the same reason!  ahahahah!

That being said, my Citi Double Cash is my main spender, so I didn't really need my QS in there anyway.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like how it knows it's the Citi Double Cash. I had PC from a Dividend and it has the DC picture so that's pretty neat.
Message 27 of 28
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@MJ-san wrote:

Some folks think we're nuts for needing more than 8 cards ... but I've got a couple of cards for business, one for restaurants, one for grocery, one for gas, one for home improvement, plus a general purpose and a "big stuff" card. The goal for me is to reduce the # of cards carried ... one of the reasons I *LOVED* the idea of Coin, but that's probably going to be stillborn, releasing the mag stripe product next year, just in time for cards to migrate to EMV chips. 

I was able to add Amex, Chase, and BoA cards no prob - citi is stuck "waiting for card verification". Hoping I can add SallieMae soon!

I was one of the early backers of Coin.  Once I heard Apple Pay was launching, I cancelled my order for my Coin.  Yesterday evening, I read about another competitor who is going to compete with Coin and they have already figured out a way to incorproate EMV technology.  

Coin is DOA.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.