Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone add cards to Apple Pay?

tag
thecheese
Established Member

Re: Anyone add cards to Apple Pay?

Seems like a bad idea. I know more people who lose or have their phone stolen vs their wallet. Call me old fashion but I'll stick with swiping my plastic cards.

Except you have a better chance of your card info being stolen by swiping your card than you do this (see Target breach, Home Depot breach). Your card numbers are not stored on the phone or the "cloud", and on top of that you're gonna have to lose your finger as well for the theif to make any transactions. That is if they can use your stolen phone + finger before you remotely disable purchases.

Message 11 of 28
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

@JediNeo wrote:

Seems like a bad idea. I know more people who lose or have their phone stolen vs their wallet. Call me old fashion but I'll stick with swiping my plastic cards.

Considering you have a passcode on your iPhone or even if you lose it and report it as lost on Find My iPhone, you will be fine. It's safer than losing your wallet where anybody can use your cards with just a swipe. Also, if you forget to report a card that you forgot you had in your wallet, the thief can run up some nice balances before you realize what hit you. With Apple Pay, all info will be deleted from the phone. Call me New-Fashion but I like security. Smiley Wink

EDIT: Apart from all the other security features offered by Apple Pay. Example, your card number isn't provided at the terminal but instead it's replaced with a unique number assigned by Apple that replaces your card information.

Message 12 of 28
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Hopefully the ATMs will get on ApplePay as well so I don't have to carry around debit cards...which are by far a greater hassle once stolen than credit.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heyitsyeh wrote:

Hopefully the ATMs will get on ApplePay as well so I don't have to carry around debit cards...which are by far a greater hassle once stolen than credit.

Would be nice, but unlikely because debit transactions don't have the same fraud liability and there's no money to be made by Apple in this case.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I added my Amex Plat, CSP, and BOA Cash Rewards. I then went to Mcdonalds and payed with Apple Pay. It was quick, easy, painless.

Message 15 of 28
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Some folks think we're nuts for needing more than 8 cards ... but I've got a couple of cards for business, one for restaurants, one for grocery, one for gas, one for home improvement, plus a general purpose and a "big stuff" card. The goal for me is to reduce the # of cards carried ... one of the reasons I *LOVED* the idea of Coin, but that's probably going to be stillborn, releasing the mag stripe product next year, just in time for cards to migrate to EMV chips. 

I was able to add Amex, Chase, and BoA cards no prob - citi is stuck "waiting for card verification". Hoping I can add SallieMae soon!

Message 16 of 28
yfan
Valued Contributor

@thecheese wrote:

Except you have a better chance of your card info being stolen by swiping your card than you do this (see Target breach, Home Depot breach). Your card numbers are not stored on the phone or the "cloud", and on top of that you're gonna have to lose your finger as well for the theif to make any transactions. That is if they can use your stolen phone + finger before you remotely disable purchases.

Not exactly. First of all, the fingerprint isn't the only way to unlock your phone - there IS a backup password in case even you weren't able to make your finger available for some reason. Second, while Apple doesn't technically store your card numbers on the cloud or on the phone, the corresponding device account numbers ARE in fact stored on the phone's secure element.

In general, I agree that mobile payments are in the order of magnitude more secure than than traditional credit card transactions (at least in the US). There is, however, no such thing as tamper proof. :-)

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pre-ordered a Coin a long time ago but when they screwed up and didn't meet the dead line (and then lied about beta) I cancelled and got a refund. Apple Pay works for me. I hope they allow more than 8 cards though.

Message 18 of 28
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but it annoys me that cap one uses a generic image it seems instead of a picture of my quicksilver...lol

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 19 of 28
taxi818
Super Contributor

@RBFool wrote:

@JediNeo wrote:

The idea here is that your phone is locked via finger print sensor. With that in mind if your phone got stolen... it's "secure"

Exactly. With that mentality. I'll stick with my horse and buggy. Smiley Embarassed

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.