cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone apply for store cards this holiday season?

tag
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Anyone apply for store cards this holiday season?

and plans to close them once paid off?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone apply for store cards this holiday season?

Closing store cards, does not compute unless you feel you have too many cards to track.

Store Cards have no AF, and you have paid the price of a new TL on your report.

If its a GE backed card, its worth while to keep it around just for generous CLI's, a good SP CLI is a way to combat AP addition.

use the card once every 3-6 months if you want to keep it alive if not, let it sit in the sock drawer check it once a month to verify it saw no use, and wait till it closes, some card companies have been known to let cards sit open for years before closing, how can it hurt to have an old unused card on your report?

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 5
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

that is true james, I was saying because some people apply for store cards just for the promo. My sister applied for a kohls card in store and got approved for $300 but will close since my mom has the same card at MVC status, so she could just be added as an AU and use card with the same benfits of MVC status.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 3 of 5
Crisis
Established Contributor

I didn't, but I'm thinking about a Kohls card next holiday.  I do a lot of shopping at Kohls for Angel Tree, etc.  They have good deals and cute clothes. 

In the garden until debt is paid off and scores are up!
Message 4 of 5
Josh2942
Established Contributor

I got Macy's WalmartDiscover Amazon Target lowes tjmaxx and a couple bank revolvers like barclay apple. They are all paid as agreed but target, is on the chop and block. It has a low limit at 500 and is crap. My Lowes is at $6k so it's worth it plus you will always need lowes. My tjmaxx however low at 600 my wife shops at Marshall's so it will grow. My walmart discover has already more than doubled from 800 to 1900 in 4 months. Macys will turn into an amex so it's worth it to.
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.