cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever had a card cut up by vendor?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Anyone ever had a card cut up by vendor?

@jsucool76 wrote:
I've never even seen it where the employee has to call up. If my card ever gets declined or doesn't go through for some reason, I've always got to get on the phone. No one does it for me :-/

I agree, it's definitely rare these days.  Actually, I've not seen it happen in person since my own retail days.

Also, it may have something to do with how stores set up thier POS systems to handle exception events.  When USAA put a fraud hold on my account last year (I was grocery shopping in the middle of the night) the Kroger cashier told me my card was declined.  However when I called USAA, they told me they didn't decline my card, and the message the POS should have given the cashier was for him to call.  I suspect Kroger may have 'kept it simple' and programmed their registers to treat anything other than an approval as a 'decline', regardless as to what the actual message from the bank is.

Another good reason to just call yourself (rather than have a clerk call) is that you get to speak directly with the issuer to resolve the problem.  Whenever a clerk calls for a MC/Visa manual auth, they don't call the bank, they call a service center that handles all MC/Visa cards.  Amex and Discover are a little different since the service center is run by the issuer (usually), but it can still be cumbersome for a clerk to leave their register to go to a phone, find the 'special' phone number and merchant codes, then make the call... the entire time with a customer's card in-hand.  It's just easier to let the customer call, especially now that most people have a phone in their pocket at all times. 

Message 11 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Even easier when I use one of my more expensive cards. If. Probably get through to a rep quicker lol.
Message 12 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Even easier when I use one of my more expensive cards. If. Probably get through to a rep quicker lol.

Absolutely!  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 17
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

About 30 years ago I had my Jc Penny's card cut up.. My first card, $200 limit which somehow had about $300 worth of spend on it. I treated that card badly so no surprise. Good times.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I miss the old days when I never worried about limits because there were no systems in place to check the cards. Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

You could also spend a kajillion dollars cause they just took your card number and your credit card company didn't find out about it for a while. Lol
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been there, done that, once a member of all those groups you noted OP.

For sure this, I remain positive until someone makes a post screaming arrogance and/or entitlement.  Once I sense that I lose my filter.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.