Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone got a RYZEN SystemYet?

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Anyone got a RYZEN SystemYet?

I bought the parts of an AMD 1800X Ryzen CPU but am waiting for a bracket so I can have the water cooler hooked up to it.  Poeple have been scalpin the CPUs and Motherboards on the Internet which really sucks.  The cool thing is maybe Intel's regin of terror has come to an end.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone got a RYZEN SystemYet?

I just hope AMD will become competitive again so I don't have to pay $1k for a top CPU from Intel again. My 6900k works great but i miss the old days when top consumer Intel chips were half that price because AMD had decent high end chips to compete with.
Message 2 of 11
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I was looking into getting one, but after everything I've seen it seems to perform compartively to my "old" trusty 5960X which overclocks marvelously unlike Ryzen.

Message 3 of 11
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I'm waiting for the laptops to come out.  I told my wife I need a new laptop before the end of summer.  It was going to be an A-10 system but if the Ryzen laptops are out then I will spend the money to get one of those.  Desktop, maybe next year.  I just can't bring myself to spend the kind of money Intel wants for their chips.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

*shrug*

I just bought an i5 7500 for a build I'm working on. I know that isn't top top top of the line like you guys are talking about, but I don't get the hate. You don't need to spend anywhere near a thousand dollars to get a very decent CPU from Intel.
Message 5 of 11
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

You can spend 1/4 that and get a fantastic CPU. Any i5 from the last 3 generations is still rock solid for just about anything you could do, and Ryzen is just going to bring greater performance to more people. There's no hating here. I only went with an extreme edition because I needed as many lanes as possible and an unlocked chip with lots of threads.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not I: the brand-new custom-built desktop I'm typing this on is based on a FX-8320 CPU eight-core screamer on Asrock 970A-G/3.1 motherboard with 32GB RAM (why so much? Digital art - Daz Studio and Poser - is one of my hobbies, and that particular hobby requires a LOT of RAM), GeForce GTX 1060 with 3GB VRAM, 256GB SSD and 2 4TB hard drives. I could have waited a couple more weeks and had a Ryzen, to be sure, but that and the motherboard needed to run it would have required me to cough up several hundred more dollars, and my new baby, as it is, was pretty pricey!

I also have a rather old 17" HP laptop with 8GB RAM and a 750GB HD dating from 2011 that, actually, I forget what AMD CPU is in it; I bought it for $500 at Best Buy in January 2012. I'm thinking of replacing it when the holidays roll around.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I probably will never own an AMD chip, but I'm hoping they do well with Ryzen so Intel will lower their prices to stay competitive.

My 6900k was painful to purchase last summer...
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Figured it out after visiting the HP support site; that old laptop I have is a Pavilion G7-1365dx with an AMD A6-3420M CPU and Radeon HD 6520G graphics. Pretty good in its day, but it's obsolescent now. When the holidays roll around I'll replace it with the best 17" laptop I can get, regardless of whether it's AMD- or Intel-powered.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not looking to replace my PC. If anything, I'll repalce my graphics card in 2 years. I'll get another AMD radeon since they're usually a good value. My last one was around $270 and came with 4 free games. If I do decide to make a new PC, I"ll get an AMD chip. It's always nice to have competition.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.