cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have interesting Jury Duty stories?

tag
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

Anyone have interesting Jury Duty stories?

I have to appear for Jury Duty soon and I was wondering if anyone had any interesting experience while serving their Jury Summons?

This will be the second time I've been summoned in a span of six years. Last time was two years ago and for the most part it was pretty uneventful. I had a high juror number so, I sat in a giant holding room all day until they finally dismissed us due to a settlement before trial. This time I have an extremely low juror number so, I'll be in the first group / first trial to be called in for the actual selection process. I would prefer to NOT be selected as I don't want to miss work (month begin is extremely hectic in the office with super tight deadlines I can't fall behind on). 

So if you have any funny / interesting stories while going through the whole process - post 'em here! 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone have interesting Jury Duty stories?

My only jury duty story isn't a good one at all. The case was sexual in nature, and luckily the person pleaded guilty before we actually had to report for the court date. (The day after we were picked.) Very unpleasant.

Message 2 of 17
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

My only jury duty story isn't a good one at all. The case was sexual in nature, and luckily the person pleaded guilty before we actually had to report for the court date. (The day after we were picked.) Very unpleasant.

I'm always afraid something like this will happen whenever I'm summoned. The last thing I would ever want is to be selected for some gruesome murder or assault trial with scarring evidence and details that could last for weeks. I mean, if I'm supposed to judge someone who's on trial for something horrible like murder - I just don't know if I could be truly 100% impartial in that situation.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes but only for minor stuff.

Murder? GUILTY!
Smiley Tongue
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 10 years or so ago, one of the few times I actually had time to report, one of the trials was for rape. The defense attorney asked each of us what we thought the penalty should be for rape. I responded that execution might be too harsh, so castration would be suitable. For some reason he dismissed me.

Message 5 of 17
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

About 10 years or so ago, one of the few times I actually had time to report, one of the trials was for rape. The defense attorney asked each of us what we thought the penalty should be for rape. I responded that execution might be too harsh, so castration would be suitable. For some reason he dismissed me.

Hmm, I wonder why? Smiley Tongue

Honestly though, I feel that's a perfectly reasonable penalty for that sort of crime.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penalty for rape could potentially be death in Louisiana...

Of course certain jurisdiction have effectively struck this down for the time being.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Message 8 of 17
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

I dont, never been called but,

My mom went through about a week of juror selection, case lasted 6 weeks or so.  Some girl got surgery in hopes to help something wrong(I forget what it was, something in or on her spine), ended up not fixing it and made her partially paralyzed.  Her family was sueing the doctors/hospital because of it.  They lost, hospital won. I guess it was pretty clear who was going to win from the start but they had to go through all the motions.  (You do sign all that paperwork waiving hospital responsibility)

I know my dad was on a murder trial but he didnt much talk about it.  (or I didnt care enough to ask, either one)   I know the guy was found guilty, that was about 3 weeks on jury duty(maybe little longer).

My mom seems to get called every other year and my dad every 4 years or so.  

Message 9 of 17
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

Well as instructed on the Jury Summons, I called the Juror Information Line the night before to check in and received the message "ALL Jurors have been excused, you do not need to report."

Looks like I'm off the hook for another year and I don't have to miss any work. I am thrilled! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.