Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have tax news?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone have tax news?

I picked up a copy of TurboTax today and was very eager to see if I would pay or receive a refund. Last year we got back about $7000 for federal and about $2000 for state. We really didn't like that at all and made some changes to our W-4s and increased our 401(k)s by quite a bit. I roughly ran our W-2 income today and we'll get back $2200 from federal and we owe state about $200. I have yet to run our 1099 income, but anticipate a lower refund for federal and about the same for state. Looks like I'll have to tweak federal a little more. Being self-employed it takes about 2-3 weeks to sort out all of the receipts, paperwork, etc. We'll see later what the real results are.
Message 21 of 29
MattH
Senior Contributor

@MattH wrote:

I'm gonna do my taxes on Monday (my work gets Presidents' Day while my wife's work does not, so I'll use it to do various chores and thereby maximize "us time" on the weekend).  Probably we'll get a refund, which we'll stick into savings.

Both State and Federal refunds have been deposited directly into my account; in mid-March I'll get my annual bonus at work.  My wife and I have already decided how we're going to invest the money (in the current market very cautiously of course!) so once I get my bonus I'll implement our decisions.  Basically we're not sure whether in the next few years the US will have deflation, hyperinflation, or deflation followed by hyperinflation, so we're trying to arrange our finances to protect ourselves from all these possibilities (and the risk of job loss) as best we can.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 22 of 29
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Do you ever listen to or watch Glenn Beck? He makes a pretty educated and serious guess that in about 2-3 years we'll be facing hyperinflation. He recommends buying things at today's prices that you know you'll need in the years ahead or that you can trade when money becomes meaningless.

I know that's rather gloomy but its the kind of adivce that doesn't hurt to follow, but could hurt if you don't - and its what we'd do if we were not so strapped. Smiley Sad

And as an update: federal refund direct deposited on Friday and enabled us to make this month's mortgage payment. DH continues to look for work. So glad that we'll soon have an extra $13 a week in my paycheck; that'll make a huge difference. Smiley Wink

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 23 of 29
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Math_Rocks wrote:

Do you ever listen to or watch Glenn Beck? He makes a pretty educated and serious guess that in about 2-3 years we'll be facing hyperinflation. He recommends buying things at today's prices that you know you'll need in the years ahead or that you can trade when money becomes meaningless.

I know that's rather gloomy but its the kind of adivce that doesn't hurt to follow, but could hurt if you don't - and its what we'd do if we were not so strapped. Smiley Sad

And as an update: federal refund direct deposited on Friday and enabled us to make this month's mortgage payment. DH continues to look for work. So glad that we'll soon have an extra $13 a week in my paycheck; that'll make a huge difference. Smiley Wink

Well, economists differ on the risk of deflation in the near term (they're not sure whether this stimulus was enough cash, soon enough, to avert a deflationary period), but most indeed seem to think serious inflation is coming once the recession has ended, for many reasons including the following:

• All the money being pumped into major economies (monetery stimulus by central banks and fiscal stimulus by politicians) will still be there when the turnaround finally happens, just as after a fire has been put out the water does not instantly vanish.  We clearly need emergency interventions right now to prevent another Great Depression, but those interventions will have a cost.
  • When the recovery does begin it will probably be slow and tentative, so central bankers will be very very hesitant to start tightening the money supply and raising interest rates for fear of plunging economies back into recession.
  • By far the most politically acceptable way to deal with the levels of national debt major governments are likely to have when this recession is over will be to let inflation reduce their real value; just about every government in modern history facing such large debts has ended up choosing inflation over less politically-palatable alternatives.
  • Major structural change in an economy, as we are likely to require, is dramatically easier in an inflationary environment because allowing budgets and pay scales to be shrunk indirectly by keeping increases below inflation is much easier than actual cuts.

I don't know how long or how bad our inflationary period will be, though my personal guess is roughly a doubling in the CPI over roughly a decade.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

We're going to end up owing about 5k because we had waaaayyyy more income last year than normal due to DH's retention bonus/severance package. Coincidentally, that's about the amount we have in savings, since most of that income was sunk into a down payment for our new house. I really don't want to wipe out our savings to pay the tax man, especially in this economic environment, so I'm thinking about getting a loan or taking a CC cash advance to pay it...both of which stink to high heaven because we're trying to work our way OUT of debt, not INTO it. Smiley Mad

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

$3053 return

$2300 Savings for home down payment

$300 bike trainer for indoor use of bicycles

$140 CHL for DH

We will use the rest on our upcoming trip to Florida.  YEA!!

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

We received about $5200.00 because we pay in extra so we don't ever owe Uncle Sam.     Have spent about 400.00 and have the rest in savings.  Will be taking the big plunge and apply for a mortgage next week so we need that sitting nicely in the bank. Smiley Happy
Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck with the mortgage!
Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will owe, I always owe; I live in Kali-forn-ia. If ever we get Fed money back, it is taken X3 by Sacramento to protect the endangered urban pigeon, or some other good cause.

Not in a huge hurry to crunch the numbers.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.