cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone read kindle books, but from a non-kindle device?

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Anyone read kindle books, but from a non-kindle device?

I was about to purchase the cheap b/w 6in. kindle, when I realized I had a kindle app on both my phone and my 10" motorola xoom tablet (that I only use for videos when I fly)

Besides it weighing more than a brick, I guess it would act just like a kindle and have accesss to all the same amazon ebooks, right?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
brikays
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone read kindle books, but from a non-kindle device?

I have the Kindle App on my iPad.....but for some reason, a dear friend decided to give me a Kindle for Xmas, just because they thought I enjoyed reading books. Haven't even used the Kindle reader yet.

~ Hover over cards to view limits ~

Message 2 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@brikays wrote:

I have the Kindle App on my iPad.....but for some reason, a dear friend decided to give me a Kindle for Xmas, just because they thought I enjoyed reading books. Haven't even used the Kindle reader yet.

Man, I've discovered this place called the "public library" this weekend, and they have most EVERYTHING I've been adding to my amazon cart to buy!

Best part is if my local branch doens't have the book/audio cd, I can have it sent from a branch that does.  I can even extend my check-out via www or phone.

I must have a dozen items in route from all over the county, lol

Who would have thunk it?!

Message 3 of 8
SCF
Valued Contributor

Chances are that they offer ebooks too, maybe even in the Kindle format.  Personally, I prefer a fully-featured tablet over a plain Kindle.  It gives you access to ebooks in multiple formats, plus you get access to real audiobooks, videos, games, productivity, etc.  I'm invested in the Android eco-system myself, but a Kindle Fire or iPad are worthy choices as well.

The plain Kindle readers do offer some advantages - light, cheap, long battery life, simplicity (great for the non-techie in your life), but make sure those are the things that are really most important before you spend $100 on a device that doesn't even do 1/3 of what a $200 Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire can do.

Message 4 of 8
Galaim
Contributor

I own an iPhone, iPad and a Kindle, and use them all equally for different things at different times. The Kindle is well-loved and well-used, and if you use the Calibre program on your computer you can download free books in all formats, convert them to Kindle format, and keep them backed up on your computer, transferring onto/off your device as needed. Granted, I am an extremely fast and super heavy reader, reading multiple books per week, and I tend to keep a backup of ~5,000 books on my computer and 1,500 on my Kindle at any given time. I know I'm an anomaly, as I don't have a TV and tend to read alllll the time in my spare time, waiting for an appt, etc.

I use my iPhone if I don't have my Kindle with me and want to read for a few minutes, and I use my iPad for almost everything else - social media, watching videos (rare, but I do on occasion go on a Netflix bender so I'm not COMPLETELY pop-culture unaware, just partially.) Smiley Wink

I had the older Kindle until last month, and used it heavily enough over a period of two years that I killed it. The Paperwhite is a HUGE improvement, and I read even more with it. The adjustable lighting is wonderful, and the battery drain is minimal if you turn the lighting down from the default *superbright* format. It's also significantly lighter than the old brick and even with a cover on it, it slides into a bag or large pocket quite easily. Lastly, I noticed I was having insomnia trouble during the time period between my old Kindle dying and when I received my new one. I did a little research and it turns out that the blue-ish backlighting of a tablet or phone can actually act like a blue-light dawn simulator and wake you up rather than help you fall asleep. Who knew? Not me. Back to the Kindle, and sleeping MUCH better. Psychosomatic? Maybe. Worth $100? Totally.

Gardening since 12/01/13 with an escape on 4/22/14 for a good cause
Scores: 05/01/10: thin file/no score 08/11/11: 620 all (mortgage FICO) 04/25/14: 705 TU (Barclay) 695 EX (FNBO) 621 EQ (FAKO) In My Wallet:: Wells Rewards Visa $7k, Care Credit $5k, Wells Care Credit $3.6k, NFBO Overstock $4.5k, BarclayCard $2.5k, Capital One $300, Chase $1.8k, Lane Bryant $1.75k, QVC $1.7k, Best Buy $1k, Chase Amazon Visa $500, Target RED $500, Torrid (Comenity) $350, Macys $300, TOTAL $31k CL, 36% util

Message 5 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Galaim wrote:

I own an iPhone, iPad and a Kindle, and use them all equally for different things at different times. The Kindle is well-loved and well-used, and if you use the Calibre program on your computer you can download free books in all formats, convert them to Kindle format, and keep them backed up on your computer, transferring onto/off your device as needed. Granted, I am an extremely fast and super heavy reader, reading multiple books per week, and I tend to keep a backup of ~5,000 books on my computer and 1,500 on my Kindle at any given time. I know I'm an anomaly, as I don't have a TV and tend to read alllll the time in my spare time, waiting for an appt, etc.

I use my iPhone if I don't have my Kindle with me and want to read for a few minutes, and I use my iPad for almost everything else - social media, watching videos (rare, but I do on occasion go on a Netflix bender so I'm not COMPLETELY pop-culture unaware, just partially.) Smiley Wink

I had the older Kindle until last month, and used it heavily enough over a period of two years that I killed it. The Paperwhite is a HUGE improvement, and I read even more with it. The adjustable lighting is wonderful, and the battery drain is minimal if you turn the lighting down from the default *superbright* format. It's also significantly lighter than the old brick and even with a cover on it, it slides into a bag or large pocket quite easily. Lastly, I noticed I was having insomnia trouble during the time period between my old Kindle dying and when I received my new one. I did a little research and it turns out that the blue-ish backlighting of a tablet or phone can actually act like a blue-light dawn simulator and wake you up rather than help you fall asleep. Who knew? Not me. Back to the Kindle, and sleeping MUCH better. Psychosomatic? Maybe. Worth $100? Totally.

^^^nice!

Message 6 of 8
demi
Established Contributor

Occasionally I will read my books on my phone, but I absolutely love my Kindle Fire, does quite a bit besides books.  I finally broke down and got Amazon prime, just the videos for free are amazing, plus lots of books....not to mention free shipping from Amazon.  Have been watching the beginning episodes of West Wing on it, plan on going thru the entire series, been a while and I am really enjoying it.

Just bought a surface as well, not sure I can do kindle on it (would imagine I can) but I love it!

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I have a samsung tablet it works great. I have only read the free books from amazon searching through bookbub. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.