cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using Mint personal finance app?

tag
Saphra

Anyone using Mint personal finance app?

Merry Belated Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Is anyone here using the Mint personal finance app? I'm interested in your thoughts on it. Is it helping you stay on target? Is it helping you get your scores up? Anyone had any issues with it being unsafe or anything?

Thanks all!

-Saph

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
907grown
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone using Mint personal finance app?

I downloaded the app, set it up, tried it, it's not for me, but I see its a nice program. I listen to Clark Howard all the time and he speaks quite highly of it. from what I understand it is completely secure.... Good luck!

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: EQ 764, TU 764, EX 740,
BOA AK AIR 30,000, Discover IT 6300, Freedom 25,300, Barclays RMC 15,660, Ring 15,000, BCE 15,000, QS17,000,AARP 15,000, ChaseFU 8,000,AND A LOT MORE!
Message 2 of 13
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Yes! I love the website, and the Android/iOS app is great.

It helps me boost my score only in the way that I don't accidentally let a card report a balance, but I primarily love it for the ability to track and manage every penny.

As far as safety, everything on Mint.com is read-only. Even if someone did manage to get a hold of your Mint login, its no more dangerous than someone finding a paper receipt of a transaction you got from a store.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 3 of 13
BootStraps
Established Contributor

I use Mint and I liked it enough that I got my 21 year old son to start using it.

I like the constant feedback on my spending patterns and the notifications about fees that might otherwise be missed. It helped me to decide to close a savings account that I was paying more fees for than I was getting interest.

I use the app primarily for quick reference and monitoring for unusual charges on my accounts.

The one annoyance that I have found is that if they accidently classify an account incorrectly- like lebelling a credit card as a checking account- it's impossible to fix and will (of course) throw the overall numbers off. Still useful for the trends, budgets and reminders though.

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 13
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Saphra wrote:

Merry Belated Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Is anyone here using the Mint personal finance app? I'm interested in your thoughts on it. Is it helping you stay on target? Is it helping you get your scores up? Anyone had any issues with it being unsafe or anything?

Thanks all!

-Saph

Depending on the accounts, I've used mint, and check.me in tandem. Surprisingly, mint will allow the paypal extra MC to log (even though most GEMB cards are not allowed). Keeps me on my payment schedules.

Message 5 of 13
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

I'm not really a fan of the app but I do use the full website version and I like it.

Discover It $1k | Chase Freedom $1.2k | Barclay Apple $1.7k | Target $1k |TJX Rewards $1k | Walmart $900 | Macy's $800 | American Eagle $750 | VS $750 | LOFT $500 | Express $350 | Cap1 Sec. $200 |

AU: Amex BCP $5k | Barclaycard Arrival $3k | Amazon Visa $2k | Chase Freedom $2k | Discover It $1.5k

Gardening as of 02/04/14
Current TU FICO 701 | Goal 1: 700✓ met on 2/18/14 | Goal 2: 720

Message 6 of 13
baller4life
Super Contributor

I use Manilla! It's awesome!! And I'm able to sync all my accounts to keep up with balances and due dates. It's a lifesaver!

Message 7 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Slightly old thread, but how does Mint et al. differ from the functions that USAA and others are offering for tracking one's spending and accounts?  Think DCU has something similar, not sure if the big banks offer it or not as I haven't really gone looking into their services.

        
Message 8 of 13
MadDscientist

It differs because it keeps all accounts in one place cc, checking, saving, investment ect. It also reminds you of credit card bills and updates you on utilization and also various other tips.
√Wells Fargo college cashback [$800]
√Discover it [$3.5k]

√Iron rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.
Message 9 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I use Mint (to track networth) in conjuntion with "You Need a Budget" aka YNAB (since it's horrible for wealth/investment tracking) and REALLY like this combo

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.