Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ApplyPay may screw up rewards

tag
nutsaboutrewards
Established Member

ApplyPay may screw up rewards

I signed up for ApplePay today. There were a bunch of disclosures which I read. The American Express one said that all charges will appear on your statement as "AplPay". In other words, you won't see the actual merchant OR the MCC. Because of this, I believe rewards based on categories may not be identified properly, and will only get the base reward rate. An unfortunate outcome, as this means I may stick to the magstripe or EMV at many merchants.

Amex Blue Cash Preferred (2x for $13k/yr) - 6% groceries (including GC), 3% gas, 1% everywhere else
US Bank - Cash+ (2x for 4 categories) 5% restaurants, department stores, wireless, and 1 rotating misc
Chase Amazon - 3% on amazon.com
Chase United - 2% on United/Star Alliance. Original "plat" card/grandfathered. Get 5k PQM/year.
Fidelity Amex - 2% (my main card)
Citi Double Cash - 2% (may become main card)
Fidelity Visa - 1.5% $15k, 2% > $15k/yr (sock drawer since Citi DC)
A few other EMV cards with 0% foreign exchange
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ApplyPay may screw up rewards

We both posted about Apple Pay at the same time. But from what I've read everywhere it does not affect rewards at all.
Message 2 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@nutsaboutrewards wrote:

I signed up for ApplePay today. There were a bunch of disclosures which I read. The American Express one said that all charges will appear on your statement as "AplPay". In other words, you won't see the actual merchant OR the MCC. Because of this, I believe rewards based on categories may not be identified properly, and will only get the base reward rate. An unfortunate outcome, as this means I may stick to the magstripe or EMV at many merchants.

i am going to do some experimentation on how google wallet handles bonus categories with freedom or edp. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
We both posted about Apple Pay at the same time. But from what I've read everywhere it does not affect rewards at all.

I don't trust this thing, honestly.

I'll keep on carrying my wallet(s)

Message 4 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't trust this thing, honestly.

I'll keep on carrying my wallet(s)

Its very convenient , but i will still carry my wallet also. Since the amount of merchants that accept NFC payments is pretty small 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 12
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

As always, thanks for beta-testing ApplePay for those of us on the "S" track...we tested Siri and TouchID for you, now it's your turn Smiley Wink

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 6 of 12
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

As of now, all my Amex transactions have been coded with the merchants name and location. Nothing coded as ApplePay

Message 7 of 12
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

It will not screw up rewards. All is fine! So take a deep breathe and relax Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 12
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Somewhat relevant -

I asked this a while back but don't think I got any concrete answers.  Anyone have experience with Google wallet mobile pay and/or ISIS/softcard, and do rewards work?  Preferably Google wallet since Softcard seems to only let me add Chase.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 9 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@nutsaboutrewards wrote:

This has been addressed a zillion times. And all said no affect to your rewards. So where do you get this?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.