cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any death benefits for veterans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are there any death benefits for veterans?

My father died a few weeks ago and was a veteran.   Are there any veteran's death benefits that I need to be aware of?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Are there any death benefits for veterans?

@Anonymous wrote:

My father died a few weeks ago and was a veteran.   Are there any veteran's death benefits that I need to be aware of?  Thank you.

I'm sorry for your loss and i appreciate your father's service. It's hard to say exactly what benefits he may be entitled to. If he had a service connected disability there might be survivors' benefits. He may have kept the life insurance that he had in the service in force. You will need to go through his papers to determine that.

You can look at the VA site http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/ for more information. You might also contact one of the veterans service organizations such as the American Legion or Disabled American Veterans for help.

Good luck to you.

Message 2 of 5
Client9
Regular Contributor

We got a free bronze head stone plate with rank and branch of service on there for my dad 1.5 years ago.

you can have the service come to the funeral as well

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well my father was a veteran he died when I was 20. I got nothing.

Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Well my father was a veteran he died when I was 20. I got nothing.

Most surviving dependents and even surviving spouses usually don't personally receive anything. That's not unusual. It's when the veteran has a disability that more benefits to the family may be available.

The veteran is the one who has earned any possible benefits and that's what the original post was addressing.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.