Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you a private pilot?

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Are you a private pilot?

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

There use to be a guy who gave rides at a nearby airshow.   He had this big sign that said FREE RIDES,  but in small letters it said, landings $25.

Priceless!  I love it!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 17
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Priceless!  I love it!  Smiley Very Happy

He had a great sense of humor, which I love in people. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 12 of 17
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

I am a pilot and love it.

Remember... Taking off is optional..Landing is mandatory.

Message 13 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I was a student pilot long ago. DXH was a corporate pilot and CFII, and he undertook to instruct me. I was his first ADHD + claustrophobic student pilot, so it was interesting.

Ran out of gas on takeoff once, over a lake, and had the doors open and my glasses off, preparing to ditch, when I thought that it might be worthwhile to switch fuel tanks. God bless high-wing aircraft. (1946 Cessna 140 in this case.) It fired right up. It didn't want to get wet any more than I did. In the meantime, the flying club was launching a boat, having heard the engine go quiet. I have a surgical scar on my right hand from breaking it when the prop kicked back while I was starting a Piper Cub. The mags were cross-wired, and it fired at the wrong point while I was throwing the prop. Nearly had a mid-air with a Vari-Eze, due to my inability to maintain a scan outside the cockpit. Really, all I ever liked about flying were takeoffs and landings. I was a Pattern Princess, flying taildraggers.

I finally decided to quit, having figured that I'd gotten enough warnings from Above.

My favorite flying saying: There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. Not too many old ADHD pilots either, I'd warrant. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 17
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I was a student pilot long ago. DXH was a corporate pilot and CFII, and he undertook to instruct me. I was his first ADHD + claustrophobic student pilot, so it was interesting.

Ran out of gas on takeoff once, over a lake, and had the doors open and my glasses off, preparing to ditch, when I thought that it might be worthwhile to switch fuel tanks. God bless high-wing aircraft. (1946 Cessna 140 in this case.) It fired right up. It didn't want to get wet any more than I did. In the meantime, the flying club was launching a boat, having heard the engine go quiet. I have a surgical scar on my right hand from breaking it when the prop kicked back while I was starting a Piper Cub. The mags were cross-wired, and it fired at the wrong point while I was throwing the prop. Nearly had a mid-air with a Vari-Eze, due to my inability to maintain a scan outside the cockpit. Really, all I ever liked about flying were takeoffs and landings. I was a Pattern Princess, flying taildraggers.

I finally decided to quit, having figured that I'd gotten enough warnings from Above.

My favorite flying saying: There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. Not too many old ADHD pilots either, I'd warrant. Smiley Wink

Congrats on "retiring" from flying,  now I can go back up.  Smiley Very Happy   Seriously,  I also learned on a Cessna 140.  I love those taildraggers, keeps you on your toes when you land.  Did you ever fly a Cessna 120?   They are a lot of fun, no flaps on them so you have to slip to a landing.  

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 15 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Cessna 140, Cessna 120, Piper Cub, Aeronca Champ, lots of time in a Taylorcraft (also no flaps.) I loved landing taildraggers, slipping in a crosswind; full-stall landing in a strong headwind, floating on in with the engine idling and the prop just windmilling. I wasn't a huge fan of wheel landings, since I flew off a grass strip, and if you hit a couple of ruts, you could do some scary hopping. Full-stop landings always; touch and go's were verboten. I'd sulk and get into a 150 when flying into controlled airports, because nothing else I had access to had a radio that would reach the tower, unless you were parked at its foot and yelled.

Kind of unnerving not being able to see where you're going when on the ground, but if you can land a taildragger, you can land anything. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 17
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Cessna 140, Cessna 120, Piper Cub, Aeronca Champ, lots of time in a Taylorcraft (also no flaps.) I loved landing taildraggers, slipping in a crosswind; full-stall landing in a strong headwind, floating on in with the engine idling and the prop just windmilling. I wasn't a huge fan of wheel landings, since I flew off a grass strip, and if you hit a couple of ruts, you could do some scary hopping. Full-stop landings always; touch and go's were verboten. I'd sulk and get into a 150 when flying into controlled airports, because nothing else I had access to had a radio that would reach the tower, unless you were parked at its foot and yelled.

Kind of unnerving not being able to see where you're going when on the ground, but if you can land a taildragger, you can land anything. Smiley Wink

Being a city dweller,  ( living in Los Angeles County ),  I never got the chance to take off and land on that grassy strip.   Always wanted to try the sea plane thing but never got to do that either.  My ultimate dream has always been to move back to PA, buy about 50 acres and have my own plane on my own property.  A taildragger or STOL would fit me perfect.  Oh well, dreams keep us going.  Smiley Happy

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
last app 2/15
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.