Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 769
Registered: ‎06-28-2014

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

I don't have one but If I did the most embarassing card in my opinion would be a generic capital one.


NPSL...................$15,300................$11,000................$7500..................$5000...................$5000..................$5000..................$500..........

21 year old college student. FICO 751 TU 757. Been building credit since age 17. Last APP 12/15/14

Regular Contributor
Posts: 320
Registered: ‎07-02-2014

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

I'm embarrassed when I use my CreditOne card around two of my friends who are big into credit cards and have excellent credit. We often go on trips together and I would just use my Chase debit card rather than break out my really embarrassing card. I'm so happy I have some decent cards now and I can't wait to get my AMEX in the mail and use it for the first time!


AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6000 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $4500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 272
Registered: ‎12-01-2012

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

[ Edited ]

MT936 wrote:

I don't have one but If I did the most embarassing card in my opinion would be a generic capital one.


+1 on the Capital One card, not that the clerk/cashier/server would really care!

 

Although what's embarrasing for me to think about NOW were some of my pathetic habits back when I had screwed my excellent credit to the point where I had nothing left but DEBIT cards in my wallet.  After Charter One changed their card appearance to green details on a white background, I took pains to save my older (but now expired) GOLD colored debit cards (with Mastercard logo!) and keep them in my wallet, to foster the "illusion" to anyone who might look into my wallet as I opened it to make a purchase that I was a "well-heeled gent" with a wallet full of gold (but now totally useless) cards!  (I DID use the word "pathetic" earlier, didn't I?)

FICO Score 8: EQ 790 EX 777 TU 795 ***** FICO Bankcard Score 8: EQ 817 EX 804 ***** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 817 EX 794 TU 799
TOTAL CL (7 cards): $114.5K ***** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 2(0) EX 7(2) TU 6(2) ***** UTILIZ: 1 % ***** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 800+

NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Amex BCE 25K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K ||
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 9.5K || Discover it 8.5K ***** ***** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 491
Registered: ‎10-08-2011

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

Speaking of Charter One, what's going on with them?

 

Here in Chicago, most if not all of the Charter One branches have been turned into US Bank branches.

    
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 272
Registered: ‎12-01-2012

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


Stralem wrote:

Speaking of Charter One, what's going on with them?

 

Here in Chicago, most if not all of the Charter One branches have been turned into US Bank branches.


Although I no longer bank with Charter One, they're still going by that name here in Ohio, even after the 2004 buyout by the Royal Bankof Scotland.

FICO Score 8: EQ 790 EX 777 TU 795 ***** FICO Bankcard Score 8: EQ 817 EX 804 ***** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 817 EX 794 TU 799
TOTAL CL (7 cards): $114.5K ***** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 2(0) EX 7(2) TU 6(2) ***** UTILIZ: 1 % ***** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 800+

NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Amex BCE 25K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K ||
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 9.5K || Discover it 8.5K ***** ***** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Established Contributor
Posts: 650
Registered: ‎10-21-2013

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


carlosg wrote:

 


jm1991 wrote:

i feel bad but i kinda do judge people when they come into the hotel trying to get a room with some odd looking credit cards, even debit cards. Ive gotten some that look like they were made with some really cheap plastic and a bad printer. If i dont get a nice looking card like amex, chase, or some well known cards i automatically think i should not rent to you. And not because i am racist or anything but people with debit cards or no name credit cards tend to be people that we have issues trying to throw college parties or just trashing the room as oppose to business people with fancy cards. 


i you boss reads this you should be fired on the spot, there is nothing wrong to pay with debit cards many people have 10x more money on it that all your fancy credit cards combined, and  non prime cards well we all have being there trying to rebuild or getting credit for the firs time, i have seen people with a centurion in their  wallet paying with debit


Sorry, but no. Our GM has told us that anyone at the front desk has the right to refuse service to anyone who you believe would damage or steal from the hotel. Now, am I saying that everyone who only pays by cash/debit card should be or is turned down? Absolutely not (I'd turn down my own mother!). But for me, knowing what I know about credit cards, it is an indicator of an ability to pay. If you say you do not have a credit card, but you want a room and you reek of smoke - I assume you will smoke in our room and we would be unable to collect the $250 penalty - and I would most likely say no. If you had a Centurion in your hand, I would probably say yes. I apologize if some people believe this is too harsh or that stereotyping is wrong (it is, by the way, but sometimes it is better to be safe than listen to your boss tell you we lost 3 nights revenue because the room was destroyed and they took our linen), I apologize, but you'll find more and more hotels adapting to this policy. Our management company now absolutely refuses (it results in a write-up!) to rent a room to someone cash-only, without a valid credit card that is approved for the minimum incidental preauthorization ($50).

New Contributor
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎06-13-2014

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


longtime_lurker wrote:

carlosg wrote:

 


jm1991 wrote:

i feel bad but i kinda do judge people when they come into the hotel trying to get a room with some odd looking credit cards, even debit cards. Ive gotten some that look like they were made with some really cheap plastic and a bad printer. If i dont get a nice looking card like amex, chase, or some well known cards i automatically think i should not rent to you. And not because i am racist or anything but people with debit cards or no name credit cards tend to be people that we have issues trying to throw college parties or just trashing the room as oppose to business people with fancy cards. 


i you boss reads this you should be fired on the spot, there is nothing wrong to pay with debit cards many people have 10x more money on it that all your fancy credit cards combined, and  non prime cards well we all have being there trying to rebuild or getting credit for the firs time, i have seen people with a centurion in their  wallet paying with debit


Sorry, but no. Our GM has told us that anyone at the front desk has the right to refuse service to anyone who you believe would damage or steal from the hotel. Now, am I saying that everyone who only pays by cash/debit card should be or is turned down? Absolutely not (I'd turn down my own mother!). But for me, knowing what I know about credit cards, it is an indicator of an ability to pay. If you say you do not have a credit card, but you want a room and you reek of smoke - I assume you will smoke in our room and we would be unable to collect the $250 penalty - and I would most likely say no. If you had a Centurion in your hand, I would probably say yes. I apologize if some people believe this is too harsh or that stereotyping is wrong (it is, by the way, but sometimes it is better to be safe than listen to your boss tell you we lost 3 nights revenue because the room was destroyed and they took our linen), I apologize, but you'll find more and more hotels adapting to this policy. Our management company now absolutely refuses (it results in a write-up!) to rent a room to someone cash-only, without a valid credit card that is approved for the minimum incidental preauthorization ($50).


I would have to shop with our company. What exactly entails ''I don't belive you can't pay'' or "I think you're going to steal"?

 

And the Centurion member should be denied too, as they are not obeying rules. 


Starting Score: 600-6/13
Current Score: 660-EQ-7/4 TU: 656
(WM) 670EQ Plus
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge


Goal Cards: AMEX PRG, AMEX Everyday, Discover IT, Chase Freedom, Amazon Rewards VISA, Best Buy CC. Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Regular Contributor
Posts: 114
Registered: ‎04-22-2014

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

Usually young people wanting to pay cash or asking how much the authorization will be because they only have x amount on their debit. When I hear the is say we dont accept debit (like  some car rentals dont) After working for a while you start to get the vibes from people and most of them are ok, business people coming to sleep and thats it, or family traveling needing to rest and be on their way. Some people you just get a crazy feeling like loud drunk guys coming from the club all trying to gather cash for a room. Uh no. Or crazy crack head looking lady that smells like smoke and gives me some weird looking credit card. I do not want to get fired for renting to someone who destroys the room and we cannot collect from them because their card gets declined for additional charges. And management does not want these kind of guests neither so sometimes I have to make a judgement call when I ge walk ins like that. Or I get nervous and worried if they already made an online reservation and come and pay with with a weird credit card and pray that you will not cause any trouble. And this is only like 1 out of 100+ guests btw not every guest. 

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $9,400 BoA Visa: $3,900 BoA Better balance Rewards: $5,000 Ritz Carlton: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Established Contributor
Posts: 650
Registered: ‎10-21-2013

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


kingkai1990 wrote:

longtime_lurker wrote:

carlosg wrote:

 


jm1991 wrote:

i feel bad but i kinda do judge people when they come into the hotel trying to get a room with some odd looking credit cards, even debit cards. Ive gotten some that look like they were made with some really cheap plastic and a bad printer. If i dont get a nice looking card like amex, chase, or some well known cards i automatically think i should not rent to you. And not because i am racist or anything but people with debit cards or no name credit cards tend to be people that we have issues trying to throw college parties or just trashing the room as oppose to business people with fancy cards. 


i you boss reads this you should be fired on the spot, there is nothing wrong to pay with debit cards many people have 10x more money on it that all your fancy credit cards combined, and  non prime cards well we all have being there trying to rebuild or getting credit for the firs time, i have seen people with a centurion in their  wallet paying with debit


Sorry, but no. Our GM has told us that anyone at the front desk has the right to refuse service to anyone who you believe would damage or steal from the hotel. Now, am I saying that everyone who only pays by cash/debit card should be or is turned down? Absolutely not (I'd turn down my own mother!). But for me, knowing what I know about credit cards, it is an indicator of an ability to pay. If you say you do not have a credit card, but you want a room and you reek of smoke - I assume you will smoke in our room and we would be unable to collect the $250 penalty - and I would most likely say no. If you had a Centurion in your hand, I would probably say yes. I apologize if some people believe this is too harsh or that stereotyping is wrong (it is, by the way, but sometimes it is better to be safe than listen to your boss tell you we lost 3 nights revenue because the room was destroyed and they took our linen), I apologize, but you'll find more and more hotels adapting to this policy. Our management company now absolutely refuses (it results in a write-up!) to rent a room to someone cash-only, without a valid credit card that is approved for the minimum incidental preauthorization ($50).


I would have to shop with our company. What exactly entails ''I don't belive you can't pay'' or "I think you're going to steal"?

 

And the Centurion member should be denied too, as they are not obeying rules. 


While I agree that s/he should be denied too, if both say they won't smoke in the room - at least one of them I know has the ability to repay for additional charges. As for what entails someone believing you cannot pay or are going to take something not belonging to you has a lot to do with the way you present yourself. As I said, stereotypes are more often than not wrong, but they do exist for a reason and it is often the only thing the cashier/hotel clerk/server has to predict your behavior. 

 

This certainly does not exclusively happen in hotels - it happens in higher end restuarants and stores as well. 

Contributor
Posts: 109
Registered: ‎05-27-2014

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


longtime_lurker wrote:

kingkai1990 wrote:

longtime_lurker wrote:

carlosg wrote:

 


jm1991 wrote:

i feel bad but i kinda do judge people when they come into the hotel trying to get a room with some odd looking credit cards, even debit cards. Ive gotten some that look like they were made with some really cheap plastic and a bad printer. If i dont get a nice looking card like amex, chase, or some well known cards i automatically think i should not rent to you. And not because i am racist or anything but people with debit cards or no name credit cards tend to be people that we have issues trying to throw college parties or just trashing the room as oppose to business people with fancy cards. 


i you boss reads this you should be fired on the spot, there is nothing wrong to pay with debit cards many people have 10x more money on it that all your fancy credit cards combined, and  non prime cards well we all have being there trying to rebuild or getting credit for the firs time, i have seen people with a centurion in their  wallet paying with debit


Sorry, but no. Our GM has told us that anyone at the front desk has the right to refuse service to anyone who you believe would damage or steal from the hotel. Now, am I saying that everyone who only pays by cash/debit card should be or is turned down? Absolutely not (I'd turn down my own mother!). But for me, knowing what I know about credit cards, it is an indicator of an ability to pay. If you say you do not have a credit card, but you want a room and you reek of smoke - I assume you will smoke in our room and we would be unable to collect the $250 penalty - and I would most likely say no. If you had a Centurion in your hand, I would probably say yes. I apologize if some people believe this is too harsh or that stereotyping is wrong (it is, by the way, but sometimes it is better to be safe than listen to your boss tell you we lost 3 nights revenue because the room was destroyed and they took our linen), I apologize, but you'll find more and more hotels adapting to this policy. Our management company now absolutely refuses (it results in a write-up!) to rent a room to someone cash-only, without a valid credit card that is approved for the minimum incidental preauthorization ($50).


I would have to shop with our company. What exactly entails ''I don't belive you can't pay'' or "I think you're going to steal"?

 

And the Centurion member should be denied too, as they are not obeying rules. 


While I agree that s/he should be denied too, if both say they won't smoke in the room - at least one of them I know has the ability to repay for additional charges. As for what entails someone believing you cannot pay or are going to take something not belonging to you has a lot to do with the way you present yourself. As I said, stereotypes are more often than not wrong, but they do exist for a reason and it is often the only thing the cashier/hotel clerk/server has to predict your behavior. 

 

This certainly does not exclusively happen in hotels - it happens in higher end restuarants and stores as well. 


In my opinion, the hotel has every right to deny anyone they deem unfit for business, be it the way they act, the type of card they hold, or other factors that put them in high alert.  It's a business, so there is nothing wrong with using stereotypes to help you filter your business.  That's why rental car companies do credit checks and ask for proof of insurance if you're under 25 or some other threshold age.

 

  

Experian: 736 Equifax: 739 Transunion: 728
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $2K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.