cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

tag
kingkai1990
Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

@Dalanar wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@kingkai1990 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@carlosg wrote:

@jm1991 wrote:

i feel bad but i kinda do judge people when they come into the hotel trying to get a room with some odd looking credit cards, even debit cards. Ive gotten some that look like they were made with some really cheap plastic and a bad printer. If i dont get a nice looking card like amex, chase, or some well known cards i automatically think i should not rent to you. And not because i am racist or anything but people with debit cards or no name credit cards tend to be people that we have issues trying to throw college parties or just trashing the room as oppose to business people with fancy cards. 

i you boss reads this you should be fired on the spot, there is nothing wrong to pay with debit cards many people have 10x more money on it that all your fancy credit cards combined, and  non prime cards well we all have being there trying to rebuild or getting credit for the firs time, i have seen people with a centurion in their  wallet paying with debit

Sorry, but no. Our GM has told us that anyone at the front desk has the right to refuse service to anyone who you believe would damage or steal from the hotel. Now, am I saying that everyone who only pays by cash/debit card should be or is turned down? Absolutely not (I'd turn down my own mother!). But for me, knowing what I know about credit cards, it is an indicator of an ability to pay. If you say you do not have a credit card, but you want a room and you reek of smoke - I assume you will smoke in our room and we would be unable to collect the $250 penalty - and I would most likely say no. If you had a Centurion in your hand, I would probably say yes. I apologize if some people believe this is too harsh or that stereotyping is wrong (it is, by the way, but sometimes it is better to be safe than listen to your boss tell you we lost 3 nights revenue because the room was destroyed and they took our linen), I apologize, but you'll find more and more hotels adapting to this policy. Our management company now absolutely refuses (it results in a write-up!) to rent a room to someone cash-only, without a valid credit card that is approved for the minimum incidental preauthorization ($50).

I would have to shop with our company. What exactly entails ''I don't belive you can't pay'' or "I think you're going to steal"?

And the Centurion member should be denied too, as they are not obeying rules. 

While I agree that s/he should be denied too, if both say they won't smoke in the room - at least one of them I know has the ability to repay for additional charges. As for what entails someone believing you cannot pay or are going to take something not belonging to you has a lot to do with the way you present yourself. As I said, stereotypes are more often than not wrong, but they do exist for a reason and it is often the only thing the cashier/hotel clerk/server has to predict your behavior. 

This certainly does not exclusively happen in hotels - it happens in higher end restuarants and stores as well. 

In my opinion, the hotel has every right to deny anyone they deem unfit for business, be it the way they act, the type of card they hold, or other factors that put them in high alert.  It's a business, so there is nothing wrong with using stereotypes to help you filter your business.  That's why rental car companies do credit checks and ask for proof of insurance if you're under 25 or some other threshold age.

That's a false equivalance. Stereotypes are extremely subjective and can be taken entirely too far. That's how people get sued. 

As you know, when one runs a credit check it's objectional as it doesn't taken any of the said acts, apperances, etc. into factor. Just their credit worthiness.

In my opinion, it's very hypocritical for one to say "oh, but I think you can pay...so go ahead and break the rules". 

Message 71 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.