cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

 


youdontkillmoney wrote:

When someone uses an AmEx Centurion or other luxury card, they feel good about it, the status and brand is part of the reason they use it.

 

I wonder if there are cards out there that you use that have the opposite effect. Cards that you think or feel tell the world that your credit is not so perfect, usually it's those "no name" cards no one has heard about, for example, First Premiere Bank, etc?



I have absollutely NO emotion whatsoever upon presenting one card or the other.  Its just a transaction.  My only thoughts are what are the benefits from using this particular card.  I don't understand EMBARASSMENT, please elaborate.  And yes I am 100% serious.


Starting Score: 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 836; TU 806, November 2017; Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 15.8 years; EQ AAoA: 8.0 years; Typical credit utilization 1.8% typical single card utilization 10.6%
Message 31 of 71
Valued Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


Roarmeister wrote:

 


youdontkillmoney wrote:

When someone uses an AmEx Centurion or other luxury card, they feel good about it, the status and brand is part of the reason they use it.

 

I wonder if there are cards out there that you use that have the opposite effect. Cards that you think or feel tell the world that your credit is not so perfect, usually it's those "no name" cards no one has heard about, for example, First Premiere Bank, etc?



I have absollutely NO emotion whatsoever upon presenting one card or the other.  Its just a transaction.  My only thoughts are what are the benefits from using this particular card.  I don't understand EMBARASSMENT, please elaborate.  And yes I am 100% serious.


^^^
by embarrassment I mean you know you have bad credit and the credit card you got is only for people with bad credit so when you present/use it, you are embarrassed that people recognize it is a card for people with bad credit and think negatively about you. On the flip side, someone may feel good about having a premium card, for example, the other day I used my AMEX platinum and the cashier said "you must have good credit" or in another situation soneone in line behind me kept staring at my AMEX platinum when I was using it out of curiousity or thinks my income bracket is high enough for an ALEX platinum or when I use my Merrill + card the cashier may say "I like the bull on your card". So by embarrassed I mean the opposite of these situations that stroke your ego.

Credit Cards: AmEx Platinum (NPSL), Citi Prestige ($32K), Simmons ($5.5K), IberiaBank ($14K)
Personal Lines of Credit: U.S. Bank ($5K), Wells Fargo ($11.2K), Citibank ($11.8K), PenFed CU ($25K), LA Financial CU ($20K)
myFICO 3B Report (as of 4/30/16): Experian: Score 8: 786; Mortgage Score 2: 809 Equifax: Score 8: 801; Mortgage Score 5: 809 Transunion: Score 8: 796; Mortgage Score 4: 796
Jumbo Mortgage: 3.75%
Message 32 of 71
Valued Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


Jon85 wrote:

I see your point... 


But I like the fact that I have more important things to worry about than what a cashier who is probably making $10 an hour thinks of my financial portfolio, haha. 


Wow, you must live in a good area, cashiers in my area make minimum wage, lol. 

 

I don't really care what anyone thinks of me when I use my credit cards. I think the general public probably doesn't know much about what's really great and what's really not (except for the obvious ones like Amex Centurion); I didn't until I started reading these boards and really researching cards. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 33 of 71
Super Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


youdontkillmoney wrote:

Roarmeister wrote:

 


youdontkillmoney wrote:

When someone uses an AmEx Centurion or other luxury card, they feel good about it, the status and brand is part of the reason they use it.

 

I wonder if there are cards out there that you use that have the opposite effect. Cards that you think or feel tell the world that your credit is not so perfect, usually it's those "no name" cards no one has heard about, for example, First Premiere Bank, etc?



I have absollutely NO emotion whatsoever upon presenting one card or the other.  Its just a transaction.  My only thoughts are what are the benefits from using this particular card.  I don't understand EMBARASSMENT, please elaborate.  And yes I am 100% serious.


^^^
by embarrassment I mean you know you have bad credit and the credit card you got is only for people with bad credit so when you present/use it, you are embarrassed that people recognize it is a card for people with bad credit and think negatively about you. On the flip side, someone may feel good about having a premium card, for example, the other day I used my AMEX platinum and the cashier said "you must have good credit" or in another situation soneone in line behind me kept staring at my AMEX platinum when I was using it out of curiousity or thinks my income bracket is high enough for an ALEX platinum or when I use my Merrill + card the cashier may say "I like the bull on your card". So by embarrassed I mean the opposite of these situations that stroke your ego.


Not to contradict but the person with the FP or any other card feels just as good as the person with the Amex card because no matter what card or statues you are at the time a card only represents one thing CREDIT and a swipe VS a debit card.

 

And each and every one of those persons didn't start with a Plat, Black or any other so called statues card IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 34 of 71
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

The only time I feel a little bad is when I'm making a really small purchase with a CC because I don't have any cash on me. Has nothing to do with what the card is.

 

.

<script type="text/javascript">// window.onbeforeunload = function() {} // </script>

<script type="text/javascript">// window.onbeforeunload = function() {} // </script>
Message 35 of 71
Established Member

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

OK.  I used to work in the rental car industry and we called it "CRAPS" every time we were handed a cap one, orchard, first premier etc for the security deposit and ran it. Even worse, was when said renter was "proud" of their freshly minted $300 cap one platnum and proceed to educate me that her "platnum card benefits cover the rental car"......

 

Fast foward a few years to when I was actually worthy ENOUGH to carry said cap 1 $300 plat. I had been so scarred from all the trash talking about the card I would only use it at gas stations so that I wouldnt have to show it to anyone (still kind of feel that way about my QS1)

 

Currently I live in a very rural area where AMEX gold still shines and the Marriott premier rewards.........that black card opens eyes! Honestly, I get comments 90% of the time when I use it. My friend didnt believe me when I told him until I used it a few times with him- he couldnt believe the responses I got.

 

 

"http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2760iB9166C1A493A3CBC" border="0"
Starting FICO (EQ) (1/7/13) - 567 6/11/14 - 670 = Goal - 750
Cap 1 QS1 $2300 I AMEX PRG NPSL I Marriott Prem rewards $5K I AMEX Everyday Pref $1K I CSP $5K
NO DEBT / 8% UTILIZATION
Message 36 of 71
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


Callandra wrote:

Jon85 wrote:

I see your point... 


But I like the fact that I have more important things to worry about than what a cashier who is probably making $10 an hour thinks of my financial portfolio, haha. 


Wow, you must live in a good area, cashiers in my area make minimum wage, lol. 

 

I don't really care what anyone thinks of me when I use my credit cards. I think the general public probably doesn't know much about what's really great and what's really not (except for the obvious ones like Amex Centurion); I didn't until I started reading these boards and really researching cards. 


Heh,heh - where I live $10.00/hr  IS minimum wage and going up to $10.20 in the fall.  And a virtual min. wage of $16/hr for fast food workers in the Bakken area. But then again we have 3.4% unemployment and 1% residential vacancy rates.  I think our cashiers tend to get a kick out of seeing foreign CCs -- we see a lot of Americans coming up here for business and pleasure.


Starting Score: 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 836; TU 806, November 2017; Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 15.8 years; EQ AAoA: 8.0 years; Typical credit utilization 1.8% typical single card utilization 10.6%
Message 37 of 71
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

I feel embarrassed when I pull out my black Visa Signature card to pay for 2 tacos and a courtesy cup for water at the Taco Bell and the young kid behind the counter says that I must have a lot of money because my card is black. "No," I reply, "if I had a lot of money, I wouldn't be buying 2 tacos for lunch, kid." Then I eat my 2 tacos and drink my fountain water, like a boss, cause life's short.

 

 

 

 

 

  (Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 38 of 71
Valued Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


watch44 wrote:

I feel embarrassed when I pull out my black Visa Signature card to pay for 2 tacos and a courtesy cup for water at the Taco Bell and the young kid behind the counter says that I must have a lot of money because my card is black. "No," I reply, "if I had a lot of money, I wouldn't be buying 2 tacos for lunch, kid." Then I eat my 2 tacos and drink my fountain water, like a boss, cause life's short.

 

 

 

 

 


^^^^

How about me pulling out my stainless steel visa black card at the goodwill store for a $2 tie (it was vintage Yves Saint Laurent)

Credit Cards: AmEx Platinum (NPSL), Citi Prestige ($32K), Simmons ($5.5K), IberiaBank ($14K)
Personal Lines of Credit: U.S. Bank ($5K), Wells Fargo ($11.2K), Citibank ($11.8K), PenFed CU ($25K), LA Financial CU ($20K)
myFICO 3B Report (as of 4/30/16): Experian: Score 8: 786; Mortgage Score 2: 809 Equifax: Score 8: 801; Mortgage Score 5: 809 Transunion: Score 8: 796; Mortgage Score 4: 796
Jumbo Mortgage: 3.75%
Message 39 of 71
Established Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?


youdontkillmoney wrote:

How about me pulling out my stainless steel visa black card at the goodwill store for a $2 tie (it was vintage Yves Saint Laurent)


 

Did you at least wear sunglasses and a sh*t-eating grin?

      
Message 40 of 71