Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrg, I just need some stamps!

tag
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Arrg, I just need some stamps!

My local post office has removed their stamp vending machines. Not just the million-year-old mechanical one, but also the only-a-few-years old electronic ones that take dollars, give change and have a huge selection of stamps. WTF. Apparently this is part of their ridiculous plan. Oh, I can buy stamps online, pay shipping and wait for them. Woohoo. Real helpful if I need a stamp now. So, I have to go to the post office while it is open, and wait in line if I need 1 single stamp right now? What century am I living in? This is absurd. What next? Banks get rid of ATMs, so I have to wait in line just to check my balance? I think this proves that to work for the government you must be legally brain-dead.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Arrg, I just need some stamps!

I get my standard ones in my local gas station  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 6
MattH
Senior Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

My local post office has removed their stamp vending machines. Not just the million-year-old mechanical one, but also the only-a-few-years old electronic ones that take dollars, give change and have a huge selection of stamps. WTF. Apparently this is part of their ridiculous plan. Oh, I can buy stamps online, pay shipping and wait for them. Woohoo. Real helpful if I need a stamp now. So, I have to go to the post office while it is open, and wait in line if I need 1 single stamp right now? What century am I living in? This is absurd. What next? Banks get rid of ATMs, so I have to wait in line just to check my balance? I think this proves that to work for the government you must be legally brain-dead.

Go to http://usps.whitepages.com/post_office and in the drop-down menu on the left select "Automated Postal Centers" to find the APC nearest to your address.  The PO closest to my home doesn't offer any way to get stamps after hours, but about two miles away is an office with an APC that happens to be near my usual drive to work, so that's where I usually get my stamps on my way home from work.

Alternatively, as another poster has noted some retailers carry stamps (that poster mentioned gas stations, but also many pharmacies and supermarkets have them).

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 6
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@MattH wrote:
Go to http://usps.whitepages.com/post_office and in the drop-down menu on the left select "Automated Postal Centers" to find the APC nearest to your address. The PO closest to my home doesn't offer any way to get stamps after hours, but about two miles away is an office with an APC that happens to be near my usual drive to work, so that's where I usually get my stamps on my way home from work.

Yes, I know about the APC. But it only sells ugly printed stamps, and the minimum purchase is $1; so you have to buy at least 3 stamps. You can't buy just one.

Message 4 of 6
cobra19
Valued Contributor

My local newspaper store sells stamps. So does COSTCO. Actually, the ONLY time I ever use stamps anymore is sending out Christmas Cards - everything else I do is online and no stamps, or envelopes needed.

The post office is even talking about cutting back on mail deliveries from 6 days to 5. Everything I do these dyas is paperless. I can see stamps virtually disappearing.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 6
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@cobra19 wrote:

My local newspaper store sells stamps. So does COSTCO. Actually, the ONLY time I ever use stamps anymore is sending out Christmas Cards - everything else I do is online and no stamps, or envelopes needed.

The post office is even talking about cutting back on mail deliveries from 6 days to 5. Everything I do these dyas is paperless. I can see stamps virtually disappearing.

That's what bugs me, I rarely send any mail, so I don't have a huge need for stamps. So when I do have to send something I just want to slap some coins in the machine, get my stamp and send the envelope on it's way. I don't want to buy a million stamps and I don't want to wait in line.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.