Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Insurance madness

tag
nj23
Regular Contributor

Auto Insurance madness

RANT INBOUND:

Obviously the process for an insurance company to provide an auto insurance quote is 100x more complicated than FICO.  I can only imagine all of the factors considered.  
Anyway I was just flabbergasted between these three quotes for essentially the same coverage on my new car:

GEICO: $53/mo

State Farm: $173/mo

Liberty Mutual: $286/mo

Oh, and while I have a clean driving/insurance record for the past seven years, I do have TWO total losses on my personal insurance history with GEICO, one on an older car in 2003 - i totaled my Mom's car on the way home from getting my license, and I'm sure they paid coverage limits since they had to land a medivac on the highway for the other car - and one on a financed new car in 2007, both of which I'm sure they didn't forget - which makes it even more unbelievable that the other two quotes are so much higher.  

Now, my estimation is that GEICO is probably the biggest auto insurer in my area and that is a major factor in GEICO being absurdly cheaper than the rest - otherwise I have no idea how the two higher quoted companies stay in business with price differences like those.  Also why would anyone drive if they have to pay insurance costs like that?  

FICO TU: 768 (Post-Spree 7/14 Discover FICO) FICO EX: 734 (post-spree 7/6) FICO EQ: 730 (7/15 Lender pull after INQs)
6% utility July 29th. Back into the Garden after a successful spree...for real this time Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

Re: Auto Insurance madness

In my case, State Farm saved me about $100 a month when compared to GEICO. It was actually a thread on this site about car insurance that made me decide to rate shop, glad I did.

On another note, what kind of luck can you have to total a car right after getting a license? Wow.

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 2 of 5
nj23
Regular Contributor

I think my luck is ok but it was bad that day. Ive actually escaped serious trouble multiple times in my younger days. My penance has been to be better.

FICO TU: 768 (Post-Spree 7/14 Discover FICO) FICO EX: 734 (post-spree 7/6) FICO EQ: 730 (7/15 Lender pull after INQs)
6% utility July 29th. Back into the Garden after a successful spree...for real this time Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 5
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@nj23 wrote:

RANT INBOUND:

Obviously the process for an insurance company to provide an auto insurance quote is 100x more complicated than FICO.  I can only imagine all of the factors considered.  
Anyway I was just flabbergasted between these three quotes for essentially the same coverage on my new car:

GEICO: $53/mo

State Farm: $173/mo

Liberty Mutual: $286/mo

Oh, and while I have a clean driving/insurance record for the past seven years, I do have TWO total losses on my personal insurance history with GEICO, one on an older car in 2003 - i totaled my Mom's car on the way home from getting my license, and I'm sure they paid coverage limits since they had to land a medivac on the highway for the other car - and one on a financed new car in 2007, both of which I'm sure they didn't forget - which makes it even more unbelievable that the other two quotes are so much higher.  

Now, my estimation is that GEICO is probably the biggest auto insurer in my area and that is a major factor in GEICO being absurdly cheaper than the rest - otherwise I have no idea how the two higher quoted companies stay in business with price differences like those.  Also why would anyone drive if they have to pay insurance costs like that?  

I wish I could get insurance that cheap! I have a flawless history without even a single speeding ticket, yet because I am 18 I am "high risk" and therefore I pay about $700 every 6 months. Smiley Mad

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 4 of 5
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

Full coverage on my 2012 Charger is $1,180.00 for the year.
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.