Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE stealing credit card #s at gas pumps

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: BEWARE stealing credit card #s at gas pumps

I hope the gas station issues a credit right away for the $90!

Would you mind sharing with us where the gas station is that did this?  I'd like to avoid it!  I am sure others would too!

Message 11 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

I hope the gas station issues a credit right away for the $90!

Would you mind sharing with us where the gas station is that did this?  I'd like to avoid it!  I am sure others would too!

I really don't think anyone will have any issues avoiding it lol.

I live in a tiny town in the River Valley of Arkansas.

Message 12 of 14
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Not sure how to look for skimmers.  Are they that obvious?

I checked my bank account yesterday and there was a $90 charge from the local Shell station.  I had been there after everything else in town was closed and got gas.  That showed up along with the $90s.  Even when gas was $4.00 a gallon, my vehicle doesn't hold that much gas.

Needless to say I was mad and found out from others that it happens there frequently.  I won't be going back.

Hi Guiness56!

This is actually quite common; it's called an "Authorization Charge." And although it appears as two separate charges after it's cleared, it still won't actually post. At least that's how it's been in my experience.

This happens every. single. time. I use my AmEx at my local Shell station. Trust me, the first time I saw that authorization charge pop up on my AmEx account I flipped. I believe I had a charge appear for $99 after I put $40 of gas in the tank. My dodge isn't THAT thirsty! LOL

Long story short: keep an eye on it I guess, but don't lose sleep over it.

Hope everything works out! Smiley Wink

Edit: Also - I've had the authorization charges come in from different parts of the country. I.e., I live in Los Angeles. I went to a local Shell station, and had charges post from Texas. Lol I've had multiple charges as well.

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 13 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@DaylightSlaving wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Not sure how to look for skimmers.  Are they that obvious?

I checked my bank account yesterday and there was a $90 charge from the local Shell station.  I had been there after everything else in town was closed and got gas.  That showed up along with the $90s.  Even when gas was $4.00 a gallon, my vehicle doesn't hold that much gas.

Needless to say I was mad and found out from others that it happens there frequently.  I won't be going back.

Hi Guiness56!

This is actually quite common; it's called an "Authorization Charge." And although it appears as two separate charges after it's cleared, it still won't actually post. At least that's how it's been in my experience.

This happens every. single. time. I use my AmEx at my local Shell station. Trust me, the first time I saw that authorization charge pop up on my AmEx account I flipped. I believe I had a charge appear for $99 after I put $40 of gas in the tank. My dodge isn't THAT thirsty! LOL

Long story short: keep an eye on it I guess, but don't lose sleep over it.

Hope everything works out! Smiley Wink

Edit: Also - I've had the authorization charges come in from different parts of the country. I.e., I live in Los Angeles. I went to a local Shell station, and had charges post from Texas. Lol I've had multiple charges as well.

As I said, one was 90 and one was 20.  The 20 was the real charge.

Both of them were posted and deducted from my account.

I have had the same company do the same charge from 2 totally different places also.  One would fall off, the other would be taken from my account.

This is not the case here.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.