Bank Of America portfolio

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank Of America portfolio

@mongstradamus wrote:

@irrational wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The important thing is to link all your financial information in one place on the Internet. That way, when there is a data security breach, you know exactly what part of of your finances are compromised (all of it!)...

100% agree!

I know these companies don't have any intention of doing anything bad, but neither did Target and you see where that got them!

The reason I (and a lot of people, I'm sure) use credit cards is for consumer protection. Why would I want to throw all that away, and literally give the keys to the castle to these companies?

Heck, I use 1password, so I don't even know the keys to the castle... lol.

I use lastpass also for that reason i don't knwo any of my passwords, they are usually 20-25 characters long of jumble :-) 

Are stuff like that Safe?  I am paranoid about this kind of stuff and hate the idea of 3rd party having my info... but with so many websites I login to a password manager sounds helpful

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 21 of 27
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@irrational wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The important thing is to link all your financial information in one place on the Internet. That way, when there is a data security breach, you know exactly what part of of your finances are compromised (all of it!)...

100% agree!

I know these companies don't have any intention of doing anything bad, but neither did Target and you see where that got them!

The reason I (and a lot of people, I'm sure) use credit cards is for consumer protection. Why would I want to throw all that away, and literally give the keys to the castle to these companies?

I use lastpass also for that reason i don't knwo any of my passwords, they are usually 20-25 characters long of jumble :-) 

Are stuff like that Safe?  I am paranoid about this kind of stuff and hate the idea of 3rd party having my info... but with so many websites I login to a password manager sounds helpful

I think it is but what do i know lol they have 2 factor authentication and you need your own pass word to get into your last pass account, so i don't think anybody that works for last pass can technically get into your account, but i don't really know

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 22 of 27
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@polecat87 wrote:

@irrational wrote:

@polecat87 wrote:

Having used almost all of the major account aggregation services here is my opinion:

• Yodlee   The first service. Pluses: Has wide variety of accounts. Okay website (if accessed through PC) Minuses: Poor mobile app which isn't free.
  • BoA   Pluses: Decent enough if you are mostly in the BoA ecosystem. Minuses: Buggy. Doesn't show on BoA mobile app.
  • mint.com   Pluses: Great website and mobile site. Minuses: Sells personal data, lots of ads.
  • personalcapital.com  Pluses: Website mobile app. Geared towards investors. Minuses: If you aren't an investor might be TMI, not the best budget tools.

My personal choice is personalcapital.com because I do a lot of investing. I'd stay away from yodlee because its mobile app is poor. Bank of America's portfolio is like anything BoA does- it was all excited about it when they started it, but now the support is poor. Mint is okay if you can stomach their product pushing. 

Not to get overly pedantic, but none of these tools are budgeting tools as all of them are reactive. (e.g. my budget should drive my spending, not the other way around).

I guess it all depends on what you need for budgeting... if what you need is the "YNAB" style handholding budgeting tools- more power to you. I prefer saying, "Okay, I put 8% pretax into my 401k, I put 1% into savings, 3% into my investment account(s); I can't spend over x dollars on credit cards and I will pay in full. Other than that I'm not going to feel guilty about what I spent."  I put 12% away which is more than 99% of Americans- why overthink it if I don't need to?

I agree, different people need different types of budgeting, and I think I tend to be more of a budget based on what I have rather than what I spend; if I budgeted with the idea of "1% to savings, 10% to 401k, 3% to HSA..." I don't think I would be putting much away at all... probably more like 10-12% as well. As it is I put away 30%, and my future goal is to push that savings up to 40%. 

Early retirement goal, plus I don't want for much. 

Message 23 of 27
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@irrational wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

100% agree!

Its not paranoia if they really are out to get you. Or is it...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 24 of 27
polecat87
New Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

@polecat87 wrote:

@irrational wrote:

@polecat87 wrote:

Having used almost all of the major account aggregation services here is my opinion:

• Yodlee   The first service. Pluses: Has wide variety of accounts. Okay website (if accessed through PC) Minuses: Poor mobile app which isn't free.
  • BoA   Pluses: Decent enough if you are mostly in the BoA ecosystem. Minuses: Buggy. Doesn't show on BoA mobile app.
  • mint.com   Pluses: Great website and mobile site. Minuses: Sells personal data, lots of ads.
  • personalcapital.com  Pluses: Website mobile app. Geared towards investors. Minuses: If you aren't an investor might be TMI, not the best budget tools.

My personal choice is personalcapital.com because I do a lot of investing. I'd stay away from yodlee because its mobile app is poor. Bank of America's portfolio is like anything BoA does- it was all excited about it when they started it, but now the support is poor. Mint is okay if you can stomach their product pushing. 

Not to get overly pedantic, but none of these tools are budgeting tools as all of them are reactive. (e.g. my budget should drive my spending, not the other way around).

I guess it all depends on what you need for budgeting... if what you need is the "YNAB" style handholding budgeting tools- more power to you. I prefer saying, "Okay, I put 8% pretax into my 401k, I put 1% into savings, 3% into my investment account(s); I can't spend over x dollars on credit cards and I will pay in full. Other than that I'm not going to feel guilty about what I spent."  I put 12% away which is more than 99% of Americans- why overthink it if I don't need to?

I agree, different people need different types of budgeting, and I think I tend to be more of a budget based on what I have rather than what I spend; if I budgeted with the idea of "1% to savings, 10% to 401k, 3% to HSA..." I don't think I would be putting much away at all... probably more like 10-12% as well. As it is I put away 30%, and my future goal is to push that savings up to 40%. 

Early retirement goal, plus I don't want for much. 

My goal is to  get up to 30%+ as well.. and I'm getting there.

Message 25 of 27
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Let's just put it out there right now that any website can be hacked, from the most secure (or seemingly so) government database to even Apple's or Google's.  I think we should just accept it as reality.  The best to do is simply to employ a vigorous password resetting habit and check your credit reports often.  

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 26 of 27
HiLine
Blogger

Wow this is a neat tool that I was never aware of. Once I started paying attention to 1-stop financial account management, only the traditional tools like Mint and Check ever crossed my mind. This deserves a kudos. Thanks for spreading the word! Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.