Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic airline travel question

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Basic airline travel question

This is a pretty basic question, but I wanted to check to see what options I may have. I'm trying to book award flights that would leave from and return to LAX. I am based in NYC so I would need to get to LAX. I intend to fly AA and use my citigold signup ty points to purchase the fare. I know what date I will be departing most likely however I do not know when I will need the return flight. It appears much cheaper if I book a round trip ticket instead of two one way tickets. Is this usually the case? I'd like to secure my booking for the outbound portion at least otherwise I could be stuck not being able to get a flight early enough to make my connection to the award flight. Should I just buy a one way ticket now or would it make sense to buy a roundtrip ticket and pay the higher markup to have the option to change flight dates? If I wait till the last minute the costs of the tickets can go through the roof which is a concern.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.