Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best AMEX card to show off

tag
codehavoc
Regular Contributor

Best AMEX card to show off

I already have the AMEX blue cash everyday card and was looking to get another AMEX in the next few months. Other then the black card. What would be next in line. I see a lot of people talking about the gold charge card but I'm not sure. Somebody please give me insight on the ranks of the cards with credit scores

Starting Score: Equifax 582 Experian 610 Transunion 620
Current Score: Equifax 693 Experian 751 Transunion 739
Goal Score: Equifax 730 Experian 750 Transunion 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best AMEX card to show off

People seem to think the Platinum or PRG are the best cards to "show off".  In reality, if you can qualify for a Green charge card, you can get the Plat.  I'd focus more on what card you want/what will help you get rewards the fastest as opposed to what looks good to other people.

Message 2 of 10
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Platinum annual fee makes it the more prestigious card but not worth it for normal spend.. it would be an expensive show off card
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 3 of 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Wow... people really care what others think of what credit card they flash at dinner?

Someone remind me never to use my Barclay Apple VISA.... it's all white with "barclaycard" in the upper left.  Pretty plain and I'd hate for people to think I'm poor or something.

Smiley Indifferent

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 10
tiffjtiffj
Contributor

And I thought my basic blue US Bank secured card as popping!!! Back in the drawer you homely sight of card. I apologize to all offended in the grocery line, it shall never happen again.

Current EQ 634 TU08 670 EX 627
Garden: Take #25 (2017 - ouch)
2017 Goals: Citi Premier
Message 5 of 10
codehavoc
Regular Contributor

@TRC_WA yea I just think it's a card. But I was on line at a supermarket and I paid with my BCE for some rewards (lol) and the guy behind me asked "how is the blue AMEX ?" I told him that it good and that I utilize it for the rewards. Then he responded back " well I have the gold card , don't think I'll get the blue" I told I him to enjoy is supermarket brand cereal lol

Starting Score: Equifax 582 Experian 610 Transunion 620
Current Score: Equifax 693 Experian 751 Transunion 739
Goal Score: Equifax 730 Experian 750 Transunion 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 10
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@codehavoc wrote:
@TRC_WA yea I just think it's a card. But I was on line at a supermarket and I paid with my BCE for some rewards (lol) and the guy behind me asked "how is the blue AMEX ?" I told him that it good and that I utilize it for the rewards. Then he responded back " well I have the gold card , don't think I'll get the blue" I told I him to enjoy is supermarket brand cereal lol

i really believe someone of your high caliber needs to go to youtube and look for penn and teller bottled water....the premise of the video ranks right along with this thread

Message 7 of 10
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@codehavoc wrote:
I already have the AMEX blue cash everyday card and was looking to get another AMEX in the next few months. Other then the black card. What would be next in line. I see a lot of people talking about the gold charge card but I'm not sure. Somebody please give me insight on the ranks of the cards with credit scores

Guess it depends on what you mean by "show off" in your title.

The Zync card ALWAYS commands attention.  Many folks assume it's even "better" than the Black...since it's white.  Or they ask if it's similar to the Centurion card.  And it's even more rare than the Black...hence the mythical, Unicorn name. 

Message 8 of 10
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

I wish I could have picked this gem up

Message 9 of 10
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Other than the usual suspects, I would think most people (who are not credit card forumers)  are not privy to the individual ranking of an AMEX card. I think an AMEX card is generally respected no matter which one it is.  However, there is a Mercedez Benz AMEX out there, and it looks like it may turn some heads if not only for its recognizable partner..heh. 

Anyway, what do you get out of showing off? 

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.