cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Airline to Europe?

Frequent Contributor

Best Airline to Europe?

I figured since I know a lot of us cc folks use rewards and fly and travel a lot and such, I'd ask here about the best international flights. It would be my first one. I live in the DC area and going to London this summer. I am so overwhelmed with the choices and the conflicting reviews of the best airlines and classes. Obviously any tips to get cheaper fares are welcome too. Thanks! 


FICO 8 August 2016 TU: 720/ EQ: 697/ EX: 705 Gardening Until 2017
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES
Senior Contributor

Re: Best Airline to Europe?

I used to fly internationally quite a bit and overall I would say I like Delta the most. Their seats were the most comfortable and their selection of movies and TV shows were on point. 

 

A close second is United Airlines. I can honestly say I was completely happy with their international flights but Delta just seemed a lot more friendly. I typically flew United from D.C. to Dubai and Delta from Atlanta to Dubai and both flights were top tier. 

 

I once flew American to Dublin and I can honestly say that was the worst flight of my life. The plane was old, the seats were horrendous, and they still had the tube Televisions that hung from the ceiling and all the pictures were purple, haha. 

 

I am not sure if it is available from where you are flying from, but Emirates was AMAZING. This may be a fat-kid thing to say but I would typically go online and request a special meal because they come out before everyone else's and I was always super hungry, haha. 

Message 2 of 7
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Airline to Europe?


azguy13 wrote:

I used to fly internationally quite a bit and overall I would say I like Delta the most. Their seats were the most comfortable and their selection of movies and TV shows were on point. 

 

A close second is United Airlines. I can honestly say I was completely happy with their international flights but Delta just seemed a lot more friendly. I typically flew United from D.C. to Dubai and Delta from Atlanta to Dubai and both flights were top tier. 

 

I once flew American to Dublin and I can honestly say that was the worst flight of my life. The plane was old, the seats were horrendous, and they still had the tube Televisions that hung from the ceiling and all the pictures were purple, haha. 

 

I am not sure if it is available from where you are flying from, but Emirates was AMAZING. This may be a fat-kid thing to say but I would typically go online and request a special meal because they come out before everyone else's and I was always super hungry, haha. 


Haha I am totally a fat-girl at heart, BUT, when I search Emirates it comes up as 19k Smiley Sad I'm willing to dish out a bit of money to be comfortable on a long flight but not twenty thousand dollars lol. 

 

I am looking at Delta and BA, so far! 


FICO 8 August 2016 TU: 720/ EQ: 697/ EX: 705 Gardening Until 2017
Message 3 of 7
Senior Contributor

Re: Best Airline to Europe?


jrenae4 wrote:

azguy13 wrote:

I used to fly internationally quite a bit and overall I would say I like Delta the most. Their seats were the most comfortable and their selection of movies and TV shows were on point. 

 

A close second is United Airlines. I can honestly say I was completely happy with their international flights but Delta just seemed a lot more friendly. I typically flew United from D.C. to Dubai and Delta from Atlanta to Dubai and both flights were top tier. 

 

I once flew American to Dublin and I can honestly say that was the worst flight of my life. The plane was old, the seats were horrendous, and they still had the tube Televisions that hung from the ceiling and all the pictures were purple, haha. 

 

I am not sure if it is available from where you are flying from, but Emirates was AMAZING. This may be a fat-kid thing to say but I would typically go online and request a special meal because they come out before everyone else's and I was always super hungry, haha. 


Haha I am totally a fat-girl at heart, BUT, when I search Emirates it comes up as 19k Smiley Sad I'm willing to dish out a bit of money to be comfortable on a long flight but not twenty thousand dollars lol. 

 

I am looking at Delta and BA, so far! 


Emerites can definitely be a bit expensive and at nearly $20k I would expect to be flying business class at a minimum. 

 

Also, you can request the special meal online for any airline you fly Smiley Happy I would also highly suggest flying with a pen for when you have to fill out your customs form on the plane before landing. It is always a pain when I forget one. 

Message 4 of 7
Established Contributor

Re: Best Airline to Europe?


jrenae4 wrote:

I figured since I know a lot of us cc folks use rewards and fly and travel a lot and such, I'd ask here about the best international flights. It would be my first one. I live in the DC area and going to London this summer. I am so overwhelmed with the choices and the conflicting reviews of the best airlines and classes. Obviously any tips to get cheaper fares are welcome too. Thanks! 


Which class are you looking to buy? Do you want a nonstop or are you willing to connect?

 

If you're talking cheap seats, they're all about the same in the end. Some people like one airline's food more than another, but someone else may have the opposite opinion. Business class and up is a different matter and the hard product can vary quite a bit.

 

For nonstop IAD-LHR, United and Lufthansa come to my mind (flown both). Lufthansa has slightly better food in economy, but I prefer the United seat a little more. If flying business class, I'd go with United over Lufthansa (and United is probably cheaper, too).

 

In the end, it's not that long of a flight so I wouldn't fret it too much. If you can sit in coach on a domestic transcon, you'll be fine to LHR. If you land at peak time in LHR, you'll hate the customs line more than the flight.

Message 5 of 7
Valued Member

Re: Best Airline to Europe?

My test


Starting Score: 547
Current Score:685
Goal Score: 700


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Best Airline to Europe?

I fly back and forth from DEN to CDG a good bit. There are no direct routes so I connect all over the east coast, and I can say with confidence United is my favorite airline. Tried delta a couple years ago and they were 95% as good as united. This may I am trying AA again just for giggles

 


$33500..............$5000................$33000.............$25000..............$6500...............$5800................$4300................$3000
Message 7 of 7