Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Camera extended warranty help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Buy Camera extended warranty help

I bought a Sony TX1 digital camera from Best Buy in Oct '09. Paid $379.99 + $119.99 for the extended warranty. The camera has issues so I brought it in today. The customer service person looked at it and said they are just going to replace it. But, it isn't dollar for dollar like it used to be. I can get something that is kind of equal to the old one. Granted it's still better but not one that now costs $379.  The cameras that they showed me are between $119 and $199.  I don't feel good about this! I feel like I paid $119. to cover my $379. camera so I want another one in the same price range. The TX1 was high on the scale then and now they are showing me regular cameras. Anyone else experience this and any suggestions on how to get the most for the dollars that I spent?  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Best Buy Camera extended warranty help

Argue with them...but politely. haha, when in doubt try calling up bestbuy and talking to the manager at your local store, or, calling up the corporate line. 

Even though your camera's model has depreciated in value, that's what you paid to get the warranty on, the camera itself, not the $379 you spent on it. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan. And if they don't work with me, I'll go up the chair of command and/or let them know that I'll be filing a complaint with the BBB.  And, one other "card" that I used to HATE when people pulled on me is saying "do you know how much I've spent here?". I've spent $15-$20k in that store in the last 7 years. That's has to carry some weight too. 

Message 3 of 7
awal
Regular Contributor

Are you expecting the same camera as a replacement, or for them to give you a camera of equal price to what you paid?

Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was expecting a camera that cost the same as the one that I purchased in '09. That's what happened when I bought the one that I was returning. Camera one had issues so they gave me a full value credit of almost $400.00 so I bought my current camera. Had that for almost 3 years and it developed a few issues. When I bought the extended plan, I was told it would work the same way.  

I went in and took care of things today. The customer service rep wouldn't budge and neither would the manager. I contacted the corporate office for Best Buy and worked by way up the ladder. Ended up with their public defender that put a call into the store. When I went back, I was given a credit for $300. Not what I should have received based on what I was told 3 years ago but more than they were origionally going to give me. So I through an extra $50. in and will be getting a Sony TX20. My old TX1 was great. The new one will blow it away. Overall, I'm satisfied. And I didn't go for the service plan this time. I'm all set with that! 

If they didn't budge, I was prepared to contact the local TV station (call for action), spread the word online, go into the store to advise customers once in awhile and might have even owned a website with the words Best Buy in it.  I was right here and sticking to it until things got done.

Message 5 of 7
Cageym
Established Contributor

I think you get a replacement equal to what you had. Same as renters insurance, actual value or replacement value, read the fine print. If I could just turn in a damaged camera for what I paid for it and get a new one my Nikon D70 would have been damaged a couple of years ago and I would have a newer DSLR.LOL but YMMV

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good that you got a credit at least. However with extended warranties you are really only insuring that particular model of camera, not a price. I see lots of articles about Best Buy on the consumerist and they are not very flattering.

I always decline the extended warranty when offered. It is almost pure profit for them and very rarely do you ever get anything out of it. I bought a camera at Best buy last year. I just needed a simple digital camera to take on vacation so I would only use it maybe 3-4 times a year. Found a decent one for 110 dollars and the sales rep just aggrivated me to no end when he tried to sell an extended warranty to me. For "only" 60 dollars more I could buy a warranty and they would replace the camera if I broke it. Sounds great huh?

Why in the world would anyone want to pay for an extended warranty that costs almost half the price? Jeeze if I am careless enough to break it I could just buy another one it is not that expensive.

Pushy sales rep would not take no for an answer until I flat out told him I can not afford the warranty. This was back when I only had a debit card and I had just barely enough in my account for the camera and the trip expenses. Seriously 60 dollars would have overdrawn my account and if I did buy the camera with the warranty, I couldn't afford to go on the trip anymore, which was why I was buying the camera in the first place.

I read a great tip on the consumerist once. As a general rule the harder a sales rep pushes something on you, the more beneficial it is for them and least beneficial it is for you.

Also a big reason why extended warranties are such huge profit grabs for businesses like you found out the warranty only applies to the item itself, not the price you paid. That top of the line camera/computer/tv, etc now will be basic cheap stuff by the time the warranty wears out. If someone does break or damage their product the store is banking on the fact that the person will just be tempted enough to buy another top of the line product and thus pay for another item and purchase yet another warranty.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.