Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy refused to honor their price match policy

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Best Buy refused to honor their price match policy

One of Best Buy's pricing policies - If we lower our in-store or online price during the return and exchange period, we will match our lower price, upon request.

I purchased a 75" Samsung TV from them November 1st. The price was $2999. The TV went on sale for $2799. during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. Their website shows this for that period -

PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE NOT VALID 11/23–11/27

The Best Buy Price Match Guarantee does not cover items for sale from Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. This includes recent purchases made at Best Buy and if lower prices are found at a competitor.

I checked their website at 12:01 AM EST (Nov 28th) and saw the price was still $2799 so I contacted the department that handles price matches. We went round and round for awhile. The rep said the sale prices are good until 11:59 [B]CST.[/B] After much BS I waited until 12:00AM CST then checked the listing to find it was still at $2799. I provided this to the rep. He agreed it was still showing the sale price. And still was a few minutes later as he dragged his feet (or fingers in this case). I started taking pictures and video of the screen at 12:04 CST. That showed me refreshing the screen and still seeing the sale price. A few minutes later it went up to $3299. At that point he asked a link to the item again (I had already given it to him 3 times). At that point he tells me he can't credit the $200 because the TV is now $3299. I'll be going to the store in the morning. Besides the pictures and video, I also have a copy of our conversation.

For anyone that cares to read, this is part of the 90 minute conversation that shows him agreeing then taking his time until the price changed -

This is the link - [url]https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75-class-74-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dy...]
28-Nov 01:00 AM

Still at $2799

Let me check.

I'm refreshing and it's still the same
28-Nov 01:01 AM

Yes you are correct.
28-Nov 01:01 AM

As they say... show me the money! Smiley Happy
28-Nov 01:02 AM

I guess it was worth staying up late for
28-Nov 01:02 AM

I believe you just credit my card the difference?
28-Nov 01:03 AM

Let me check the information for you.
28-Nov 01:06 AM

Please allow two minutes while I check the information for you.

Isn't this something you do all the time?

I am sorry for the delay.
28-Nov 01:08 AM

I will be glad to help you with the price match for you.
28-Nov 01:08 AM

That's okay and thank you
28-Nov 01:09 AM

You're welcome.
28-Nov 01:09 AM

I request you to please refresh the page onces.
28-Nov 01:11 AM

It showing $$3,299.99.Please check the link: [url]https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75-class-74-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dy...]
28-Nov 01:13 AM

Looking at this conversation, we've been typing for an hour. You told me to wait until 12AM CT. I did that. The price was still $2799. I sent you the link and you agreed that was the price. That price was still showing 5 minutes later. I have pictures and video of me refreshing the page. I did everything as you said so I am entitled to the $200.00 credit.
28-Nov 01:13 AM

I really appreciate your patience and valuable time.
28-Nov 01:16 AM

How long until I see the $200.00 credit post to my account?
28-Nov 01:17 AM

Just to confirm when you purchase the product.
28-Nov 01:18 AM

Nov 1st
28-Nov 01:18 AM

I see that the price of the product has increased to $3299.99.
28-Nov 01:23 AM

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy refused to honor their price match policy

They would do an amazing job stonewalling U.S congress

I hope they honor their guarantee 

Message 2 of 12
GFer
Valued Contributor

A lot of retail stores that price match have exclusions on the big sales, such as BF.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Buy's HQ is in Minneapolis, so going on EST time zone may be short sighted.  They probably base their price match days on their own time zone which means the price changed within midnight CST.

Message 4 of 12
GFer
Valued Contributor

I didn't even think of that!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back when I had some ecommerce sites (I owned some shops that made things and sold mostly online), we actually had a "3 month price guarantee" but it was actually listed as a 744 hour guarantee.

The minute you clicked "purchase", your order page showed a countdown clock from 744 hours down to 0.  The offer was for ONE price adjustment in that time frame, if you clicked "request price match" it removed the clock going forward.  We ran a LOT of weekly sales that varied quite a bit, so most of my customers would click as close to 0:00:00 as possible even if it meant missing out on a prior sale.  It was funny to watch the analytics on that.

The "refund" was given as a credit card refund or a store credit + 25%.  Everyone (95%?) took the store credit.  Was one of the best marketing tricks I ever created because it provably added to my profits but people LOVED the feature.  I rarely had to actually give people money back, lol.

Message 6 of 12
GFer
Valued Contributor

I could see that!  I 'work' at the discounts when I shop too. Well, now I do. I didn't always do this.  Everyone loves a deal, and if you have to 'work' for it in any way, it just feels even sweeter!  Mental thing, I suppose!

Message 7 of 12
masscredit
Valued Contributor

The thing is. the online representive told me that he could do the price match if the price was still listed as $2799 at midnight CST.  He told me this many times.  I checked the price at 12am CST, he confirmed the price and told me he could take care of it then he kept asking me the same questions. Things that we went over before. 20 minutes later and told me he could no longer do it because the price just changed. That was wrong!

I went to the store the next day. Spoke with a CSR who got a manager. He wasn't helpful at all. Actually, he gave me an attitude. I had a copy of the online conversation along with pictures and video to show the price after midnight CST. He didn't care. After his attitude I told him I think potential customers will want to know how they will be treated.  He gave me the number to corporate then asked me to leave the store. I tried to get some more answers and told him corporate will want someone in the store to verify my docoments. He just wanted me to leave. He was an ass! So I left. Talked to a customer in the parking lot on the way out. They found the story interesting.  A few minutes later I was texting a friend while sitting in my car. I then found my car surrounded by 3 crusiers. They called it in as someone who wouldn't leave the store. I talked to the officer for awhile. Nice guy.  He recommended that I call their main office. 

I kept going in circles everytime I called. 99% of the calls went to someone overseas. I kept getting what sounded like scripted responses about how sorry they were and they would do their best to resolve my problem. I finally got a representive in GA around 8pm. She told me to take everything I had and bring it to the store so someone there could verify the timestamps.  Yup.... this is what I told the manager! I went back the next day, they verified the time then issued a refund for $213 with tax. Funny thing is, the first manager kept saying they couldn't do anything in the store because it was an online order.  Actually, the second manager said that too.  Then he had someone take care of it.  You KNOW I walked out with a smile after all that!

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 12
GFer
Valued Contributor

Wow! Can't believe they made you go through all of that!  At least you got what you came for!

Message 9 of 12
Kree
Established Contributor

Consider a civil lawsuit.  Bestbuy doesn't trust local managers to deal with them, and if the price change is less than sending a lawyer on a plane I assume they will pay out.

Even if they try to fight, the judge will probably rule in your favor if your documents are as said.

As always consult a lawyer before accepting legal suggestions. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.