Did you mean: 

Bicycling 3,000 miles across the US! Yes indeed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bicycling 3,000 miles across the US! Yes indeed

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In order to post pictures that have a large resolution you'll need to resize them using a 3rd party app.  One that I know of is an app called 'resize image'.  Fairly simple process to lower the resolution so that it can be posted here.

Thank you, my friend. Please let me know the resolution size that I will need for myfico, and I will give it a try! Smiley Happy

Max size is 1,000K

Message 21 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, humu, thanks for starting this thread to keep us updated on your and your husband's journey! Spoken as a now out of shape cycling enthusiast, I am more than a little impressed and more than a little jealous but so happy to see your hubby living his dream! So cool!

At a hundred miles a day, I am curious as to how many hours he plans to be in the saddle each day? What type of saddle does he use? (I love my Selle Italia Diva...so comfortable!) What is his average riding speed? Is your SAG van packed with maintenance parts? Is he riding on Conti Gatorskins for durability? Is it a drop bar or flat bar road bike? And, of course, what brand of bike does he ride and with what component group? Sorry, I just want to know everything so I can live vicariously!!! Truly the coolest thing ever... Smiley Very Happy

Message 22 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now we're driving through NM with pretty high winds that are rocking the minivan back and forth, (my husband just saw a small truck get a bit unsteady with the wind), so will try to post a few photos now and hopefully post again later. I am not very good at typing on a tiny phone.

Photos from Natchez, MS and Oklahoma mountains

(ok, I am still trying to figure out this photo resizing thing- it does not seem to be working. I resize the photo and try to select it, and when I click on myfico photo icon, it wants to select the original photo, If someone could please pm me a step by step, I'd appreciate the help.)

Hey Bella, nice to hear from you! I am not a cyclist and I do 30 miles casually here and there, but I make it a point to my husband that we don't discuss cycling at all or he would talk about it all day (seriously) and probably drive me crazy, ha. I know his bike is a Giant with carbon fiber bars and that's all I know about equipment ( all I want to know, actually, ha ha!) We have his supplies in our van, (I do see Continental Gatorskins in the back with our supplies! ), but can only fit so much in here with sleeping in the van most nights, so we've identified bicycle shops along our route if anything else is needed. He has two saddles and I know that one is a fizik arione carbon braided saddle. Not sure about the other one, it is some type of channel saddle.

I know he does 20 mph often at home on training rides, but he knows he will have to scale back and go quite a bit slower if he wants to complete 100 miles a day. We have 6 weeks so he'll only be cycling during daylight hours, and figures on a few days he may go 120 miles if he feels stronger on certain days. we'll have to be flexible based on how he feels each day.

Luckily we have built in enough time to do that. I don't really have an interest in talking about the technical aspects of cycling with him at all, because he would get all wrapped up in it and it would be too much for me, but I am going to do my best to be a great director sportif and support along the way!

The longest ride he has done before is 390 miles in 28 hours, so just praying everything goes well. He knows what he is doing as he has been cycling for many years, but I'm sure he'll be hurting badly and I'll do what I can to help. Massages helped a lot on the 390 mile ride! Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 98
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Hey Humu , hope you guys are doing good ! Did you guys run into that bad weather down south in the last couple of days ? It got pretty bad around Ark and Miss where my sisters live at. Hope all is well! Take care friend 😊
Message 24 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Aduke, 

We were in Miss before bad weather hit there, but got slammed with rain in parts of LA and OK. Visibilty was difficult for a while.

Last night was COLD staying in the van in NM. We've stayed 2 nights in hotels and the nights in the van definitely make you feel about 100 years old. Ouch. We have some good padding but it is hard on the back anyway.

Right now the wind in NM is unusually high at 28 mph! Van rocking back and forth while driving.

Sunny weather here apart from the wind. We expect to be in San Diego on Wed, stay in a hotel overnight, then he plans to start Thursday on the bike with me driving. We will meet up every 30 miles.

I promise I will figure out this photo thing as I have some neat photos to show you guys! We saw the National Mule Memorial while driving through Mule Shoe, TX at night! Very cool! Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 98
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Yikes I can't imagine how that sleeping situation is in the van, hope the wind dies down for you guys . Be careful in that desert 🌵. It just gives me the creeps driving thru there st night esp . So desolate. Atleast you have him with you ! Thanks for keeping us posted !
Message 26 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMG_7706.JPGIMG_7705.JPG

Natchez, MS, park by  the water.

There must be a better way to get this photo resizing thing to work. I am having to resize it and resave multiple copies to my photos in several different steps. Help.

IMG_7707.JPG

Message 27 of 98
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Beautiful pics , I have been thru there several times but never took a stop to enjoy the scenery. I'm sorry I can't figure out how to do any pics on here lol
Message 28 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMG_7716.JPG 

Oklahoma has some beautiful mountains, which I never realized previously.

IMG_7715.JPG

Message 29 of 98
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I guess I have never been through the mountains in Ok I didn't even known they has any .
Message 30 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.