tag
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Blank Email from WAMU...

I just got an email from WAMU, and it looks like this:
Dear [KingAdrock],

Yours sincerely,
M. Pritchett, Senior Vice President, Washington Mutual Bank

Weird. There's no text or images in between, just blank space. It's not a phishing email because it says my full name. Looks like someone at WAMU goofed up. Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Blank Email from WAMU...

But you're dear to them, and in the end, that's all that matters. Smiley Wink

Odd, though, because I got the identical thing this morning from Borders Rewards Perks. Even the subject line was blank.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

KingAdrock wrote:
 It's not a phishing email because it says my full name.
Doesn't mean anything.

If you respond, they know you actually have an account with Wamu. Then they'll dig for further information. "sorry we are unable to locate your account to look into the matter, please provide your ___________ (acct number, ss number, dob, whatever) "

Message 3 of 7
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

KingAdrock wrote: It's not a phishing email because it says my full name.
Doesn't mean anything.
If you respond, they know you actually have an account with Wamu. Then they'll dig for further information. "sorry we are unable to locate your account to look into the matter, please provide your ___________ (acct number, ss number, dob, whatever) "

In small print above it did say "E-mail for [My Full Name], for account ending in XXXX". Correct name and last 4 #'s of my account.

If it just said "Dear Valued Customer" I'd have known right away it was bogus.
Message 4 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

What email server are you using? Some (like my workplace server and MSN's Hotmail) block images. Also, some ad-blocking programs cause images within email messages to be blocked.

Just a thought....
Message 5 of 7
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

The rest of the email had images, but nothing between Dear & Sincerely.
Message 6 of 7
nosxih
Regular Contributor

More and more bulk emails are being sent as one big jpg instead of text. This gets stripped out often times by email servers because it comes in as an attachment.
When that happens, whatever is left of the email can look pretty weird.

But never let your guard down! Spoof emails and phishing are everywhere. they steal millions a year from unknowing people who reply with their account #'s and passwords.

Email that comes from official sources like banks or cc's will never ask for your account number. They already have it.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.