Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Cash Rewards - numbers are now laser-etched

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

BoA Cash Rewards - numbers are now laser-etched

In my approval thread @Grasshopperstudent gave me the heads up that the card might not have the raised numbers on it anymore, and asked me to let you guys know what I get.

Today an envelope with way too many pieces of paper shoved into it arrived, and buried deep inside was the Cash Rewards card. BoA also included some information on why they're laser-etching the cards now, instead of using raised numbers (too hard to read, apparently). 

Not sure if this extends to other BoA cards yet, but the design is dated 7/17 on the back of the card, indicating it's a recent change. I did get an authorized user Better Balance Rewards card recently and that still had the raised numbers on it. The design on the back of that card was dated 12/16. 

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1326.png

IMG_1327.png

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BoA Cash Rewards - numbers are now laser-etched

oh wow. nice new design. I wonder if the Travel Rewards card will get this treatment too? I'm going to assume so, since on the BOA site all the pictures of the cards look like this. A little while back someone made a thread about a possible new design because the site changed the picture of the card, but we all thought it was just a made that way for the BOA site. Guess we were wrong and they are slowly rolling those designs out!

Message 2 of 20
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

oh wow. nice new design. I wonder if the Travel Rewards card will get this treatment too? I'm going to assume so, since on the BOA site all the pictures of the cards look like this. A little while back someone made a thread about a possible new design because the site changed the picture of the card, but we all thought it was just a made that way for the BOA site. Guess we were wrong and they are slowly rolling those designs out!

I like the modern/minimalistic design they're going for (I think they're trying to compete with Chase's cards, which are pretty nice looking), but I wish they would make keep using the slightly thicker plastic they're using on their cards with raised numbers. These thinner cards feel flimsy, and I've cracked a few in half already, with light-to-normal swiping. They always seem to break along the bottom of the magnetic stripe. 

My Wells Fargo Cashwise and Capital One Quicksilver have the same feel to them - flimsy, and I can see an outline of the chip through the back of the card. 

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bird on the back with no square hologram and the flat numbers on the back suggests the card's design was updated to comply with Visa's new standards. 

Weirdly enough, the numbers aren't stacked in a 4x4 manner like the new design standards suggest. 

Message 4 of 20
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Very nice! Is the Visa logo on the front of the card metallic like on the Chase cards?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 5 of 20
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

Very nice! Is the Visa logo on the front of the card metallic like on the Chase cards?

This one is, because it is a Visa Signature. The current brand guidelines for Visa don't have a metallic version of the Visa logo for card levels below Signature. 

Message 6 of 20
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

This one is, because it is a Visa Signature. The current brand guidelines for Visa don't have a metallic version of the Visa logo for card levels below Signature. 

Glad to hear BofA finally adopted the metallic Visa Signature logo (Chase Sapphire style), I have the Cash Rewards, it started as a Platinum Plus then upgraded to Visa Signature after I passed 10k and one thing I didn't like was the flat debit style logo that the Signature had. Also by pure coincidence, BofA emailed me this morning that they are sending me a new card with a new number so I should get the new design.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the new design. BoA sent me a new card last month and it was still using the raised style.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

Not sure about the brand guidelines part (when it comes to the logo anyways)

But as far as I know, many Visa Signature cards don't have the metallic logo, for example: Navy Fed's Visa Signature cards don't have the metallic finish. Now that I look at my Wallet, my Capital One Quicksilver (new design) doesn't have it either. 

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love the idea of card designs can't wait for my new BOA travel card woohoo thanks for the update. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.