Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Frequent Contributor

Re: BoA Cash Rewards - numbers are now laser-etched

This card looks plain and ugly. I think laser-etching only looks good on metal cards. For these cheap plastic ones I would still like to see the old raised numbers. I'm actually happy my card doesn't expire until 2021. That gives me a few years of still having a good looking card. 

Valued Contributor

e rRe: BoA Cash Rewards - numbers are now laser-etched

[ Edited ]

IMO the raised numbers are by far the ugliest features of cards these days. 

Flat numbers on the back allow for a cleaner look and they don't leave an imprint in my wallet, nor does the white or black paint fade after a couple of weeks, plus you can see the imprint of the raised numbers through the back of the card. 

Amazon Store Card - 3.7k / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 1k / AMEX Delta - 3.4k / AMEX Hilton Honors - 1.2K / Capital One Quicksilver - 15k / Citi ThankYou Premier - 5.6k / Citi AT&T 4.6k / Citi AAdvantage Platinum - 6.5k / Citi Simplicity - 4.6k / Empower MasterCard - 1k / USAA Limitless - 5k / USAA Rate Advantage - 2k (previously 5k)
Valued Contributor

mountaindewvoltage wrote:

DeeBee78 wrote:

Discover2016 wrote:

Very nice! Is the Visa logo on the front of the card metallic like on the Chase cards?

This one is, because it is a Visa Signature. The current brand guidelines for Visa don't have a metallic version of the Visa logo for card levels below Signature. 

Not sure about the brand guidelines part (when it comes to the logo anyways)

But as far as I know, many Visa Signature cards don't have the metallic logo, for example: Navy Fed's Visa Signature cards don't have the metallic finish. Now that I look at my Wallet, my Capital One Quicksilver (new design) doesn't have it either. 

You're a bit confused here. I was saying that cards below the Visa Signature level don't have a metallic logo - not cards at the Visa Signature level. 

These are the only versions of the brand mark that are available. No metallic versions of the non-signature level logo.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.39.15 AM.png

Starting scores: 552 EQ, 570 TU, 558 EX Current scores (9/29/17): 746 EQ 721 TU 719 EX
Established Contributor

DeeBee78 wrote:

In my approval thread @Grasshopperstudent gave me the heads up that the card might not have the raised numbers on it anymore, and asked me to let you guys know what I get.

Today an envelope with way too many pieces of paper shoved into it arrived, and buried deep inside was the Cash Rewards card. BoA also included some information on why they're laser-etching the cards now, instead of using raised numbers (too hard to read, apparently). 

Not sure if this extends to other BoA cards yet, but the design is dated 7/17 on the back of the card, indicating it's a recent change. I did get an authorized user Better Balance Rewards card recently and that still had the raised numbers on it. The design on the back of that card was dated 12/16. 

Yay somebody remembered me haha Smiley Very Happy

My current card is dated 6/17, but is a regular Visa not a VS due to the CL. I just called and requested a new card, so let's hope I do in fact get the numbers on the back! Now my FU is going to be the odd duckling haha.

I like the minimalist design of the back. The dove is interesting how its islated and not in its little reflective hologram box anymore. I like it...

TU FICO 8: 743 (9/17) — Ex FICO 8: 727 (10/17)
Established Contributor

Mine came in the mail last night, so I can confirm that the numbers are etched on non-VS cards as well. I really like the feel of the etching and all, my only note falls under what others have said about the plastic being thinner than the old card. It's flimsier than my FU or Disco...

TU FICO 8: 743 (9/17) — Ex FICO 8: 727 (10/17)
Senior Contributor

Requested a new Cash Rewards Mastercard and it came in etched on the backside with the new mastercard logo on the front...love the new look!

Established Member

MrPTato wrote:

Requested a new Cash Rewards Mastercard and it came in etched on the backside with the new mastercard logo on the front...love the new look!

May I ask how you have the card as a Mastercard instead of a Visa?  Also, I went out on a whim when on the phone with BOA and requested that they upgrad my card from platinum to signature.  My CL is $6,000.  I recall reading that as long as CL > $5,000 you were good.  Is this true?  The guy said I will find out within two weeks.  What is the standard process for upgrading? 

        Gardening until April 2018
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe the non-rewards secured card is a MasterCard, which is then kept that way when the card unsecures. 

Amazon Store Card - 3.7k / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 1k / AMEX Delta - 3.4k / AMEX Hilton Honors - 1.2K / Capital One Quicksilver - 15k / Citi ThankYou Premier - 5.6k / Citi AT&T 4.6k / Citi AAdvantage Platinum - 6.5k / Citi Simplicity - 4.6k / Empower MasterCard - 1k / USAA Limitless - 5k / USAA Rate Advantage - 2k (previously 5k)
Frequent Contributor

How did you edit out the number so well? what program did you use?

Gardening since 7.8.17

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.