Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking a Rental Property Lease

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Breaking a Rental Property Lease

I got an eviction notice over $50 in unpaid rent. Never mind I could have covered it by the end of the week.

If I had enough money, I'd be right the heck out of the U.S.A. on the first thing smoking. Someday...
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!

My hope is that leaving 2 months early won't be an issue...but am worried because there have been continued maintenance issues (that get resolved w/in 30 days, but have been one after the other since I moved in November).

I am just afraid they would try to stick me with some outrageous fees......Examples I have pointed out in emails to the management company are:

1) The lawn that I ASSUMED was Bermuda grass didn't turn green in spring (the whole winter it was watered as scheduled by the homeowner) and in spring I appropriately requested help to adjust the settings because I couldn't figure out the sprinkler system. I am in Las Vegas and we have strict watering guidelines to follow.

2) I was harassed for 3 weeks by the homeowner about the lawn until the hired Landscaper Contractor came by at 7:30 am on a Saturday to take a look and agreed with me that the lawn was indeed dead.

3) I didn't realize upon signing the lease that the homeowner now lives across the street and only 3 houses down. If they are outside and I come out (for the mail, leave the garage etc). They stare at me until I turn down the street out of view.

4) Giant holes in the 3rd bedroom drywall too big to repair with caulking.

5) The lease stated the whole house was freshly painted, 5 days after moving in I advised them that it was apparently NOT repainted due to caulking holes all over the walls. (The lease specifically states any wear or tear on the walls would be my fault and my cost to repaint)

6) The base moldings were hand cut so where the corners were supposed to be mitered, they are just a straight cut, some walls have no base boards at all and are bare to the metal (the walk through stated they were in good condition and I advised them on day 5 they were not)

7) The master bath shower faucet has corroded so much that water now shoots through the front of the faucet thru the metal decay.

8) All sewer lines are slow and back up. I am putting draino down the plumbing at least once a month.

(9) The garbage disposal died 2 weeks after moving in.

(10) Electrical issues with the ceiling fan (the homeowner sent her boyfriend over who does have a "do-it-all" company) so he fixed it.

Anyhow, the newest issues have been sent to the Broker and Manager of the company and I have been told to await a phone call to discuss the issues.

Ultimately despite all of these issues I don't break leases. I never have no matter how miserable I found myself, but I am just afraid that the one legitimate time I will need go I will get screwed (and get blamed because I have vocalized my issues)........
Message 12 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I got an eviction notice over $50 in unpaid rent. Never mind I could have covered it by the end of the week.

If I had enough money, I'd be right the heck out of the U.S.A. on the first thing smoking. Someday...

...But this is the greatest country on Earth...
Here we go again...
Message 13 of 21
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

My DD broke a lease - landord agreed, kept the deposit, then 6 months later sent it to collections.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 14 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:
My DD broke a lease - landord agreed, kept the deposit, then 6 months later sent it to collections.

That's terrible. Did she get it in writing? How did that end up turning out?
Here we go again...
Message 15 of 21
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

No - a bad mistake

Nice Collection Agency called (they had to trace her new number) and I managed to pay it before it hit her CR, and she paid me back later
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 16 of 21
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

No - a bad mistake
Nice Collection Agency called (they had to trace her new number) and I managed to pay it before it hit her CR, and she paid me back later

I was once told that a verbal agreement is like having no agreement at all.
Message 17 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Lel wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

No - a bad mistake

I was once told that a verbal agreement is like having no agreement at all.

I would regard a verbal agreement as nothing more than that. Anyone can go to court and lie, so I always try and get things in writing, on company letterhead.
Here we go again...
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So they keep telling me. I'll believe it when I'm able to actually own a home rather than rent. Until then, strictly hearsay and speculation.
Message 19 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So they keep telling me. I'll believe it when I'm able to actually own a home rather than rent. Until then, strictly hearsay and speculation.

Are you in California or New York or a similar state where houses are outrageous?
Here we go again...
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.