cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a car for the first time in a long time.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying a car for the first time in a long time.

I'm in the market for an RS5 in a couple months. They're fairly rare, all new stock sold out (2015 was its last year in the US) and only a couple are available near me. I want a pretty specific one (black, convertible, preferably a 2015, blah blah blah) and the only one near me that almost fits that bill has a lemon title (of course, because why wouldn't it, haha). So I've been looking at other dealerships across the country. There are a couple out there. My question is, how hard is it to buy a car from across the country? I can fly anywhere and pick it up and maybe make a mini road trip out of it. But I'm a little nervous buying something sight unseen/un-test-driven from an unfamiliar dealership.
Has anyone successfully bought a lightly used car from 500+ miles away? I bought my last car new from a dealership in another state, but it was like 9 years ago and it was a new car so I wasn't very worried about hidden problems.
Thanks!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: Buying a car for the first time in a long time.

Folks do it all the time for the rarer cars, particularly ones that are still under warranty.

When I worked in auto sales we would sell used cars to folks all over the country - SRT8 Jeeps and 300s mostly, but also the ones with odd color/package combinations.

If it is at a dealership, read up on their reviews first. If it's private party, I'd be more wary.

If you're that certain it is the car you want, make it happen. Just make sure your deposit to hold it is fully refundable if the car isn't as advertised when you get there. And settle on the price before you head out there, as they'll know you are not at all likely to walk away at when you would rather drive away in your RS5...

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.