cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAP ONE QS Master card convert to visa...

tag
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

CAP ONE QS Master card convert to visa...

I have a Cap One QS Mastercard with 4K limit. I chatted online with Cap One to see if they could convert my card to a visa version because I do not like the master card logo, I like the Visa logo better. Chat rep said that it was against Banking regulations to switch them over. Is that true? What are my options?

I like the Visa logo better over master card. 

Note: I am rebuilding after a BK chap 7 that was discharged about 19 months ago.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: CAP ONE QS Master card convert to visa...

No offense, but wanting to change networks simply because you don't like the logo seems kind of ridiculous. Anyway, as for your question, I don't believe you can change payment networks.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You could try applying for a new QS Visa and roll the limit from the MC onto it after 6 months if you really want Visa.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

Agreed, the Capital One rep is telling the truth.  You are going to have to app for the Visa. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

I have a Cap One QS Mastercard with 4K limit. I chatted online with Cap One to see if they could convert my card to a visa version because I do not like the master card logo, I like the Visa logo better. Chat rep said that it was against Banking regulations to switch them over. Is that true? What are my options?

Note: I am rebuilding after a BK chap 7 that was discharged about 19 months ago.

1. Cap One PCs are restricted by payment network.   Therefore, if you were originally approved with a Visa card, PCs will also be Visa; MCs will remain MC.

2. This is a discussion of aestethics as opposed to actual product features; as such, this will be moved to the Smorgasboard forum.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

CapOne's agreement with Visa and Mastercard is they can not convert one payment network to another. Hence, if you have a Mastercard it will always be a Mastercard regardless of the product change. So that is why some folks will have a reular Quicksilver Mastercard, Venture and Venture One Mastercard, etc.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@sjt wrote:

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

CapOne's agreement with Visa and Mastercard is they can not convert one payment network to another. Hence, if you have a Mastercard it will always be a Mastercard regardless of the product change. So that is why some folks will have a reular Quicksilver Mastercard, Venture and Venture One Mastercard, etc.

+1

This seems to be the case with Capital One, but it's not the case with all lenders.  There was somebody just a few weeks ago that did a thread about converting a BoA card from MasterCard to Visa (or vice versa), so it just depends on the lender. 

Capital One seems to be set-in-stone with this, though I'm not aware of it being an actual 'banking regulation'.  It's apparently just an internal policy, possibly due to contractual agreements with either Visa or MasterCard, or both.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.