Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC car rental insurance question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC car rental insurance question

Has anyone ever used it? I have it on my Discover and was wondering what the process was like. Easy or Hard to use? Is it one of those feautres the CC offers but doesn't really want you to use (i.e. AA if you do)? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

Re: CC car rental insurance question

The credit card inserts say that all we have to do is decline the rental company's insurance and pay for the rental with the credit card and it's automatic. Just about all credit card companies offer this feature. But I've only rented a car once, and it was with a Discover card. I didn't do anything special, like call or anything, so of course I don't know for sure. I'm assuming it's automatic because the insert didn't say I had to do anything special. Of course, you can always call them up and ask, too. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Different levels of protection with different cards so do the research 

CSP for example is primary Discover is secondary 

Without a long story (research)

Primary = they pay out first

Secondary = they pay after your personal ins has settled if there's any amount left over and if you have a car and ins and if rentals are covered in your policy 

As far as steps you just have to decline the rentals coverage and the ins can be used if the rental cost is placed on that card 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Read the details of the insurance on the particular card you plan to use VERY carefully. There are lots of details to most CC policies. Rental length can be an issue (can't be too long), car class can be an issue (certain types of vehicles are excluded and some of the language can be confusing and, IMO, vague), and make sure any driver will be an authorized driver according to the rental company, and make sure your card coverage will be valid for another driver.

Also, CC's don't usually provide liability insurance, which can be an issue if you don't have your own auto policy for a vehicle. If you have an accident, it can be a BIG problem.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@disdreamin wrote:

Read the details of the insurance on the particular card you plan to use VERY carefully. There are lots of details to most CC policies. Rental length can be an issue (can't be too long), car class can be an issue (certain types of vehicles are excluded and some of the language can be confusing and, IMO, vague), and make sure any driver will be an authorized driver according to the rental company, and make sure your card coverage will be valid for another driver.

Also, CC's don't usually provide liability insurance, which can be an issue if you don't have your own auto policy for a vehicle. If you have an accident, it can be a BIG problem.

Oh yeah, I defintely read though the policy (thankfully I didn't need it afterall). My question really was if anyone had ever used it before? I was wondering if it was one of those things that is offered but is frowned upon when you use it. Like real car insurance lol

Message 5 of 6
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone ever used it? I have it on my Discover and was wondering what the process was like. Easy or Hard to use? Is it one of those feautres the CC offers but doesn't really want you to use (i.e. AA if you do)? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks!

I can tell you right now that Cabela's Club Visa only offers the car rental insurance on their higher tier card. I rented a car 2 months ago overnight, as my car had to be towed. I put it on my club Visa after walking around the car with teh guy and he kept telling me any spots on the car that fit in this circle don't count......The day I take the car back, they had a hail storm.....mind you, I did not have any hail where I was at, I take the car back and when I get out 2 girls are all over the car looking at it from every angle their noses almost touching the car......then they say this car has hail damage and we will report it to our repair center and they will contact you. They showed me 2 little spots that you could not see, unless you are right down on the car looking at a right angle.......well, I called Cabela's and was told they only offer insurance to their higher tier card holders......so I had to pay the repair bill $543.13

And I know in my heart,  they didn't fix that  car..........They just figured Hail storm = PAY DAY!!!!!!!! I couldn't turn it in to my insurance, because my deductible is $500, I figure why have my insurance go up for $43.13

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.